Strength training for beginners

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
ACvault
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Strength training for beginners

Unread postby ACvault » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:23 pm

I though it would be helpful to create a thread that provides information for beginning vaulters on how to train for strength. I am not talking about weightlifting because we already have too many threads that cover that area and plus I feel it is a waste of time for young kids to be spending all their time in the weight room when they should be more concerned with their technical development. However as athletes they do need to train off the runway. Most high school athletes get plenty of running workouts from their coaches, but as is evident with the constant threads asking how to become stronger, many are unaware of how to build strength that will help them become better vaulters.

So, the areas I hope people can offer input are...

-Body weight strength exercises
-Core exercises
-Basic gymnastic movements that can be done outside of a gymnastics facility (i.e. if the athlete has no access to rings, a rope or a high bar)

A few suggestions of mine...

Body weight strength
Various types of push-ups
Various types of pull-ups
Handstand push-ups against a wall
Squats
Lunges
Dips
Various jumping movements (tuck jump, side jump, etc.)

Core exercises
I know with pole vaulters there are tons of unique core exercises, however this is a link to a page that lists and demonstrates a good amount on standard core exercises.
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/A ... icleid=486

Gymnastic movements
Even without equipment, there are lots of two person balance drills that athletes can do. I hope someone on here can suggest a few. Also, check out this page.
http://www.drillsandskills.com/

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Strength training for beginners

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:25 am

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:31 pm

This might sound kind of repetetive, but I've really come to be a believer in it (from listening to people like altius, reading enough threads on here, and doing it myself)...

High bar!

Play around, do some ab-specific stuff, drill the swing... You get just about everything you'll need in terms of strength, plus you're developping kinesthetic awareness at the same time that will pay off in the real vault big-time, ESPECIALLY for beginners. :yes:

Sit ups don't hurt... Nor do a few push ups... But the bar is really the way to go.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:39 pm

powerplant42 wrote: ... the bar is really the way to go.

:yes:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

ACvault
PV Pro

Unread postby ACvault » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:52 pm

powerplant42 wrote:This might sound kind of repetetive, but I've really come to be a believer in it (from listening to people like altius, reading enough threads on here, and doing it myself)...

High bar!

Play around, do some ab-specific stuff, drill the swing... You get just about everything you'll need in terms of strength, plus you're developping kinesthetic awareness at the same time that will pay off in the real vault big-time, ESPECIALLY for beginners. :yes:

Sit ups don't hurt... Nor do a few push ups... But the bar is really the way to go.

Yes, the high bar is a good tool. However part of my aim here is for beginners to train specifically for the vault without needing equipment. Take it from me, in high school all I had access to was an odd series of old poles, a pit without a weather cover that was stored over a hundred yards from the runway (my teammates would help me carry them out once a week, that was about it), and a weight room. No high bar, rings, rope, trampoline, etc. And without a coach I had to figure out how to actually train for the vault on my own. Too many high school kids are spending lots of time in the weight room with no purpose other than "getting stronger." But they don't know what areas to strengthen that actually help them in the vault. That is the purpose of this thread, to put together vault-specific strength exercises that can be done almost anywhere, with little to no equipment.

I also disagree that the high bar covers everything you need in terms of strength. You need to strengthen other areas of your vault other that your swing. Leg work for runway power and speed and handstands for the top end are essentials, as are the other exercises for all around development.

yankee814
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Hooker

Unread postby yankee814 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:00 pm

thanks for this, this area is always a little shaky but its nice to know i've spent my summer doing the right stuff!
Sophomore 2nd year Vaulter

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:58 pm

handstands for the top end are essentials

I thought we were discussing beginners? :dazed:

Gymnastic activities are good in all respects, but the bar is the second most critical training tool (aside from a pole). It's even more important than a pit!

I'll reiterate this for the new PVP member: STRENGTH TRAINING IS ALWAYS SECONDARY TO TECHNICAL TRAINING, ESPECIALLY FOR YOUNG VAULTERS!

For most guys under ~14' and most girls under ~11', the typical high-intensity sprint workout (with the pole of course) should suffice for all the 'leg power development' that is necessary for further improvement.

Sorry... I'm pretty darn near an absolutist in this area. :)
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:57 pm

First and foremost, I would like to say that my experience teaching somebody how to vault with no experience, is not much. I have worked with a lot of beginners, intermediate, and even a few advanced guys, but not much with the people that have never touched a pole...just my little disclaimer...

Strength training and the weight rom get thrown around here a lot synonymously. While they are clearly related, it is my humble opinion, that a lot of the strength work that a beginner could (and potentially should) be doing is in their running mechanics, with, and without, a pole. Having a strong, solid and consistant runway is darn near the holy grail for a young pole vaulter. It allows them so many things for example speed to get onto bigger poles, confidence on the runway knowing they will be taking off in the same place everytime, consistancy on and off the runway allowing them a productive practice where much can be accomplished. That said, I think more importantly than "what should a young vaulter do?" I think for our purposes, it might be interesting to discuss, "why should a young vaulter do these things?"

Posture caring a pole can be a difficult thing to learn, and it is a very subtle aspect of the vault--especcially beginners. Correct posture allows for more hip movement, which allows for a longer stride. Over time and training, stride frequency will inherently improve, however not to the extent that stride length can improve. So where does this posture come from? I would argue a correct pole carry, lowering of the pole, core strength, and a solid hip gurdle. All of these things can be accomplished out of a weight room, and would impact the vaulter's performance almost immediately. Sit ups, high bar, sprint drills (with and without a pole), jumping, running, lunging etc. is where I would begin to build a newbie.

Thoughts?

ACvault
PV Pro

Unread postby ACvault » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:59 pm

Lax PV wrote:First and foremost, I would like to say that my experience teaching somebody how to vault with no experience, is not much. I have worked with a lot of beginners, intermediate, and even a few advanced guys, but not much with the people that have never touched a pole...just my little disclaimer...

Strength training and the weight rom get thrown around here a lot synonymously. While they are clearly related, it is my humble opinion, that a lot of the strength work that a beginner could (and potentially should) be doing is in their running mechanics, with, and without, a pole. Having a strong, solid and consistant runway is darn near the holy grail for a young pole vaulter. It allows them so many things for example speed to get onto bigger poles, confidence on the runway knowing they will be taking off in the same place everytime, consistancy on and off the runway allowing them a productive practice where much can be accomplished. That said, I think more importantly than "what should a young vaulter do?" I think for our purposes, it might be interesting to discuss, "why should a young vaulter do these things?"

Posture caring a pole can be a difficult thing to learn, and it is a very subtle aspect of the vault--especcially beginners. Correct posture allows for more hip movement, which allows for a longer stride. Over time and training, stride frequency will inherently improve, however not to the extent that stride length can improve. So where does this posture come from? I would argue a correct pole carry, lowering of the pole, core strength, and a solid hip gurdle. All of these things can be accomplished out of a weight room, and would impact the vaulter's performance almost immediately. Sit ups, high bar, sprint drills (with and without a pole), jumping, running, lunging etc. is where I would begin to build a newbie.

Thoughts?

You are right on the money with this. With all beginners the run should be the primary focus. Too many coaches get distracted by trying to fix things in the air that can not be controlled until the run is consistent. The main reason I made this thread is to give information to beginners about exercises that are helpful to training when you have access to little or no equipment (i.e. at home during break periods like winter and summer.)

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”