Biofreeze

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Re: Biofreeze

Unread postby VaultPurple » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:35 pm

PP what are you using it on? I know you had some hamstring problmes in the past.

I prefer Aspercreme.... It has no smell, and no burn. And if rubbed in enough no greesey feel afterwards. After you put it on the pain just seems to go away (most the time for my muscles or shin splints once i rub it in all the way the pain is pretty much gone instantly). It accualy works by reducing inflammation and not just covering up the pain!

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:41 am

Usually my SI joint and lower back. It's not just for the soft tissues, so inflamation isn't the only thing for me...
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:19 am

Usually my SI joint and lower back. It's not just for the soft tissues, so inflamation isn't the only thing for me...

Ah... but you should still give aspercream a shot... it seems to work no matter where you put it, i know people that use it on back. Unless you really enjoy opening you sinuses.

ACvault
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby ACvault » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:56 pm

VaultPurple wrote:PP what are you using it on? I know you had some hamstring problmes in the past.

I prefer Aspercreme.... It has no smell, and no burn. And if rubbed in enough no greesey feel afterwards. After you put it on the pain just seems to go away (most the time for my muscles or shin splints once i rub it in all the way the pain is pretty much gone instantly). It accualy works by reducing inflammation and not just covering up the pain!

:yes:

birdi_gurlie
PV Pro

Unread postby birdi_gurlie » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:09 am

master wrote:
birdi_gurlie wrote:That stuff is GREAT.
During XC season, before meets, I put it on my legs, shoulders and stomach before running bc it helps with soreness/cramping.
Also, it's great for running in the heat. I wouldn't put it on just for that reason, but for a meet, to help keep my muscles from cramping up, it's great.

Cramping? Is this one of the product's purported benefits? How do you know it helps prevent muscle cramping? What muscles were prevented from cramping?

- master

its more so that it lessens the pain of the cramp slightly. I put it on my shoulders and on my stomach, mostly, before in XC race. And TRUST me, if something is cramping up for a reason other than it's still warming up a little, you WILL FEEL IT. It's no miracle worker. It usually sweats off by the middle of the race. It is more mental than physical. But if you're not focusing on the pain bc you think "The biofreeze will take care of it" it won't hurt as much. I'm sure there's part of a physical bit, but it's NOT all physical. If something hurts a little from a muscle cramp, you can't stop in the middle of an XC race to stretch it out. And in MOST cases, after it is used a little more, it stops hurting AS much. If a muscle is about to tear, you'll feel it. But in XC races, most of it is from the muscles being a little understretched. But you can't stop until the race. As soon as you get to the end and you get some water, walk around a little, and stretch it out again, it's fine.

I'm assuming most of the people on here DON'T run XC.
"That's how God's Word vaults across the skies from sunrise to sunset" Psalm 19:6

ifavault
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former high school vaulter. Former college vaulter at CC level. Future centenarian WR holder!

Unread postby ifavault » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:52 pm

Be a little bit careful with how much and how often you use some of these types of products.

Here is a case about a XC runner who died from overdose when some of these creams were absorbed through the skin. No reason to think it's not a legitimate article. Worth at least a read for some since it seems to be used quite liberally and often by some:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 676_2.html

ifavault
"Pole Vaulting...The Natural High"

birdi_gurlie
PV Pro

Unread postby birdi_gurlie » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:33 pm

Well yeah. We only use it for races. You have to be careful.
"That's how God's Word vaults across the skies from sunrise to sunset" Psalm 19:6

michaelcantu88
PV Newbie
Expertise: former highschool vaulter,current college vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'3
Favorite Vaulter: toby stevenson

Unread postby michaelcantu88 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:08 pm

um i used to use it daily for shin splints and it always worked! it made me feel like i could run faster to but idk maybe that was jus in my head lol but ya that stuff is the shiz! its prettymuch like advil u rub on your body
leave nothing

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”