Stay in the vault world

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
jojovaulter
PV Newbie
Expertise: College Vaulter

Stay in the vault world

Unread postby jojovaulter » Thu May 28, 2009 8:13 pm

I was wondering if any of you could help me out with ways I can stay in vaulting, but I guess I should explain a few things first.

I just finished my 5th and final year of college, and with that my 9th year of vaulting. Vaulting has been a very serious focus of my life for the last 8 years (my freshman year of high school it was still new to me). Now I already read some other posts on here about ex-college vaulters wanting to continue to vault, and I suppose I am in that same boat. The thing is, up until 2 months ago I had never heard of pole vault power, and had never heard of different technical models of the vault.

I actually joined this site because when I competed against UCLA at the cal-nevada championships this season I noticed that their vaulters were doing something in their vault that was very different than what I was doing. I didn't know what, all I knew was that somehow they were on much longer and heavier poles. Their poles bent smoothly, and they continued to move into the pit while they were inverting. The strangest thing for me was that they were not running any faster than I was, and they were much skinnier - they look like they hardly weight trained.

Thanks to this site and all of your help, I very quickly began to understand that I was doing a "drive vault" - whereas so many others that I was observing were petrov vaulters. It's sad that I watched elite videos all the time and tried to do what it looked like they were doing. I know now it's all about what they are trying to do. And unfortunately, my coach has been very limited in knowledge and not open to learning, leaving me trying as hard as I could but feeling like I am getting nowhere (a different story, and the reason I hope no vaulters go to the school I went to).

In any case, with 2 months left of my college career I made the decision to adapt to a petrovian style the best I could. At times I could feel the difference, and I made decent progress, but it was a serious change of technique and my performance suffered during meets. By the end of the season, I had a few good days of clearing 5.05 in practice (I know its only practice, but it's all I've got).

So I want to continue vaulting - I know I can be good. Whether through coaching somewhere, assisting, or joining a club. But I really need a coach who understands the vault. I can't continue to reinvent the wheel - I've been doing that all my vault life. I want to see what can happen with a vault coach. I would attend pole vault camps, but they seem to be geared for less experienced vaulters.

So I think that my options are as follows:

1. I can try and find a coaching job at a high school, though to be honest since finding this site I am not sure I have the knowledge.
2. Join a track club
3. Attend vault camps (or possibly coach at a vault camp??)

So I hope any of you have some suggestions of what I can do. Either - if you have some other ideas for what I can do, or - if you know of any way I can make one of the three above options possible...

Right now I am in Northern California finishing school, but after this I have no idea what I am doing and would love to see how I can stay in the vault world.

Thanks for reading, and any responses are welcome.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Re: Stay in the vault world

Unread postby powerplant42 » Thu May 28, 2009 9:02 pm

Check out one of altius' clinics this summer! You can go as a coach for free! :idea:
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu May 28, 2009 11:03 pm

This is essentially the same question as this thread: http://polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtop ... 30&t=17645

Though since you did ask specifically about coaching, I guess I'll leave this one open too.

The demand for coaches far exceeds the supply of qualified coaches. You already know more than most HS coaches. Buy the book from Beginner to Bubka, and study up between now and next season and you'll be off to a great start.

Vaultdadof2
PV Beginner
Expertise: High School Coach, Parent, Masters Vaulter

Unread postby Vaultdadof2 » Thu May 28, 2009 11:25 pm

JOJO,
Come to Orange County and jump with BJ Vandrovec of Victory Athletics (see link). BJ is the Vault coach at Cal State Fullerton and he uses the Petrov model.
There are a lot of openings for High School coaches and you will be qualified. So Cal has a great group of HS Vault coaches and we could use some more.
Good Luck!

http://www.victoryathleticspv.com/wp/

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”