Two man drills?

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
z3k
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Vaulter

Two man drills?

Unread postby z3k » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:57 am

Does anyone know any good two man drills for vaulting? Tried the search function, but found little.

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Re: Two man drills?

Unread postby bel142 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:34 pm

I am not really sure what you mean by two man drills but here are some drills that may incorporate 2 people.

Stand at the box with a pole in take off position, proper take off mark and extended arms... with no pre-step bend the knee and jump up, have team mate/coach pull the soft side of the pole so it bends and athletes feels what the jump feels like at take off with little movement and effort. The athlete will then land back on the run way in control. There should be little air time, the idea keeping arm position, and hips back so the ability to land is there.

Next...

Take a light pole with coach behind you, take two steps... (one left)... Then with the pole already on the ground take those two steps into the box, have coach lift you from waist into box. This helps with keeping the hips back at take off, and putting pressure into the bottom arm. It is important for the athlete not to let go of the pole... Once the athlete feels how the pole reacts and how the front arm feels have the coach place the athlete back onto the run way with control.

Next...

Bubka's with a spotter, have the athlete do as many bubka's on his/her own, when fatigue sets in place hand on shoulder and on small of back. Have the spotter pull down gently on shoulders and push up gently on small of back to achieve more reps, have coach to emphases keeping the arms straight and lifting hips.

Next...

On the rope, get into an inverted position, just before "turn and pull" or when tucked just before shoot (stand down all who hate tuck and shoot) extend hips and pull with arms as done in the pull through. Have a spotter maintain the shoulder position and push up on the small of the back. This simulates the feeling of pulling when the pole is moving and gets the idea of moving arms and hips together.

Hope that helps
bel

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:12 pm

...and putting pressure into the bottom arm.

Precisely why you SHOULDN'T do this drill.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Unread postby bel142 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:18 pm

There are lots of methods to vault, lots of people jump high with strange technique, and that is one major problem lots of vaulters face when they switch methods/coaches later in their career, if they decide to, every one has a first year at the collegiate level.

I honestly and respectively disagree with the above,(and this is why i love pole vault, because there is no one way to vault) to say that putting pressure into the bottom arm is a bad thing in the vault is true if your blocking your self out of motion. However, there needs to be pressure into the bottom hand and arm to maintain body position, posture, and the rolling of the pole.

You watch some beginners vaulting and the pressure of the bottom hand is not always there they collapse in and get knocked around by the pole, however if they are blocking them selves out they kill the swing, but to speak in absolutes to say there should be no pressure into the bottom hand this can be really detrimental to the rest of the vault.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:49 pm

...lots of people jump high with strange technique...

But how much higher would they jump with the Petrov model (NO bottom arm pushing post-take-off)? That's the key.

For a different thread on a different day. :yes:
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:09 pm

I have also commented on this issue on a different thread today, here http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=17245&p=123770#p123770 - before I read this one. I won't repeat myself.

As usual, my slant on this is quite different than PP's. I am much more tolerant of coaches that coach PV models other than Petrov, and I am in awe of Americans who vault high without following Petrov to the letter. I'm a big fan of Brad Walker and Pat Licari, as I'm also an ex-UW Husky.

That said, the only way I personally know how to coach is by following the Petrov model. That's how I vaulted and coached in the early 1970s. (I had not heard of the Petrov model until about 5 years ago.)

Viva la difference! ;)

Kirk

EDIT: Added 'and Pat Licari'
Last edited by KirkB on Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:10 pm

bel142 wrote: On the rope, get into an inverted position, just before "turn and pull" or when tucked just before shoot (stand down all who hate tuck and shoot) extend hips and pull with arms as done in the pull through. Have a spotter maintain the shoulder position and push up on the small of the back. This simulates the feeling of pulling when the pole is moving and gets the idea of moving arms and hips together.

This is an excellent drill ... even for Petrovers. I think the assistance by the spotter is a bit of a crutch, but that's just an aside.

The drill itself is useful for body awareness, coordination, and strength. Although Petrovers shouldn't "tuck", they need to know how to "shoot". :yes:

To me, the critical part of this drill is that you MUST completely extend your legs and torso BEFORE you start to pull with your arms. If you pull with your arms too early, you're not going to have a very good extension/pushoff. Doing this drill, you will discover that most of the power is in your BACK ... not in your ARMS.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:18 am

two man drills.. really need more clarification on what you want them for.

- Coach lifting athleate by pushing back and pulling back trail leg and holding them in right position from about 1 left.

-Lay on mat and have one person hold pole slanted with tip in mat while you hold pole and person on mat swing up and touch other persons hand held in air.

-Ive accualy had some girls that wouldnt jump on mat so would physicaly pull pole into pit while they hold onto it.

-Thats about ll I got for now

-Oh and the cursed "tap' ... dont shoot for saying, please

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”