How should I weight lift?

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
PV2020
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Lázaro Borges

Re: Re:

Unread postby PV2020 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:07 pm

Lax PV wrote:
Rhino wrote:
jumpbackin wrote:If the weight comes on fast for you, consider switching to a Strength/Power plan earlier. I think Pole Vaulters are best a little on the skinny side so I don't think you should go above about 155.

Agreed. Don't bulk up. At 5'9", 140 is enough, 155 is pushing it.

He is only one guy, I get it and he is NOT the norm, but 140 is big enough if you are fast enough...

http://london2012.usatoday.com/olympics ... &id=653861

The weight on Renaud is not correct. He is over 150, there was an interview with his little brother where he said their two weights but I do not remember exact number.

But there are also two styles of short pole vaulters. Those that are naturally fast, Renaud is one of them. Then there are those that are not born naturally fast and get that way by becoming stronger and more explosive in the weight room. A guy like Greg Duplantis was only 5'6 but he was listed at about 155 and he was one of the fastest vaulters of all time.

I like to tell people to get as strong and explosive as they can and ignore the scale. If you are 5'9 140 and currently power clean 185 and have a 32 inch vertical but spend the next year in the weight room and go to 155 but can now power clean 235 and have a 35 inch vertical, the weight is good.

Pole vault is the transfer of energy. Essentially max velocity is all you need in the vault because if you go from 9.0 m/s to 9.1 m/s and gain 10 pounds you can always just use a stiffer pole

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Re: Re:

Unread postby Lax PV » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:30 am

PV2020 wrote:
Lax PV wrote:
Rhino wrote:
jumpbackin wrote:If the weight comes on fast for you, consider switching to a Strength/Power plan earlier. I think Pole Vaulters are best a little on the skinny side so I don't think you should go above about 155.

Agreed. Don't bulk up. At 5'9", 140 is enough, 155 is pushing it.

He is only one guy, I get it and he is NOT the norm, but 140 is big enough if you are fast enough...

http://london2012.usatoday.com/olympics ... &id=653861

The weight on Renaud is not correct. He is over 150, there was an interview with his little brother where he said their two weights but I do not remember exact number.

But there are also two styles of short pole vaulters. Those that are naturally fast, Renaud is one of them. Then there are those that are not born naturally fast and get that way by becoming stronger and more explosive in the weight room. A guy like Greg Duplantis was only 5'6 but he was listed at about 155 and he was one of the fastest vaulters of all time.

I like to tell people to get as strong and explosive as they can and ignore the scale. If you are 5'9 140 and currently power clean 185 and have a 32 inch vertical but spend the next year in the weight room and go to 155 but can now power clean 235 and have a 35 inch vertical, the weight is good.

Pole vault is the transfer of energy. Essentially max velocity is all you need in the vault because if you go from 9.0 m/s to 9.1 m/s and gain 10 pounds you can always just use a stiffer pole

...what he said.

Research has found that peak and average power outputs in power cleans were maximized at 70% 1RM (the same is generally accepted for snatch). Interestingly, the peak and average power outputs from 50, 60, 80 and 90% 1RM were not significantly different than that of 70%. In squatting, it is even lower--most research points to just 30%! So what does that tell us? If you are new, and are not proficient at the movement, start light, and move the weight well. People get really focused on putting on all kinds of weight--remember from your high school physics class--there are 2 components to force... mass is only one of them. I don't want to down play lifting heavy and getting stronger, there is a time and a place for that too, but in terms of power output, you don't need a lot of weight to improve.

Form is crucial. I have always told people that the weight room is a place to learn how to move... real force gets applied when you are actually completing your movement (i.e. coming down the runway from a full approach)--but if you cannot create force in a stationary environment, with a predictable movement pattern, how do you expect to do it with outside influences?

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”