HipFlexer

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
Glory
PV Whiz

HipFlexer

Unread postby Glory » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:49 pm

The last two times i have vaulted this summer my hipflexer has been going crazy after like 10 vaults...any suggestions about why this could all be happening...?..thanks

theczar
PV Follower
Expertise: Coach/Former College Athlete
Lifetime Best: 17'1"

Unread postby theczar » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:16 pm

are you streaching it well enough? that might be the problem, or it could be tendonitis (sp?). If the pain continues, I'd see a doctor

Glory
PV Whiz

Unread postby Glory » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:26 pm

yeah I don't think its tendonitis or stretching..i stretch pretty well...its just real weird..i haven't had any problems before this....the pain goes away about an hour after i stop vaulting too..its a mystery!..i was thinking my hips could be out of alignment and that could possible cause it..but who knows

theczar
PV Follower
Expertise: Coach/Former College Athlete
Lifetime Best: 17'1"

Unread postby theczar » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:09 pm

Glory wrote:i was thinking my hips could be out of alignment and that could possible cause it..but who knows

that happened to me for the past two seasons. the pelvis is in two pieces (left and right) connected by the S-I joint, which is pretty much just cartillage and some tendons streached across in the middle. For me, the right side of my hip had shifted up and also had twisted a little. This caused my back muscles to spasm and contract, causing more stress and pressure on my lower back and right hip. I took a month of physical therapy where they just streached me out, did ultrasound and E-stim, and pushed and pulled the pelvis back into place. I felt 100% better! This year more then last, my hip flexor has given me a bit of trouble too. In physical therapy we just have done a TON of streaching and that has helped tremendously.

maybe you aren't streaching enough, or the right way?

Glory
PV Whiz

Unread postby Glory » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:55 am

well i think i need to start stretching in times other than practices...i do stretch the right way at practice..but its a matter of stretching while watching tv or reading ya know...i think doing that will significatly help out..im already pretty flexible...but then again most pole vaulters are..so yeah man thanks for the advice! :yes:

somechick
PV Beginner
Expertise: College vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12-8
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bjorn Otto. Er...Kasey B... :)

Re: HipFlexer

Unread postby somechick » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:47 pm

Thanks for posting this. I have been dealing with the same issue. Sucky!
It's good to see the responses though, I wasn't sure what to do about it. I was told though to go easy on the stretching, that it might irritate the situation more. Comments?

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Re: HipFlexer

Unread postby powerplant42 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:42 pm

Had the alignment issue for over a year. It ended up really destroying that part of my career... Not good. I'm still doing a bit of recovery.

In my experience, you should get the alignment done before you start stretching anything too much. :yes:
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”