world class sports ltd camps

A forum to post announcements about clubs, camps, or competitions. Old posts are moved to the appropriate regional forum below. This is also a forum where I make announcements regarding PoleVaultPower.com. All other posts in this forum will be deleted. Please read the descriptions of the forums below, if your post is not a club/camp/competition, it does not belong in this forum.
charlie
PV Pro

world class sports ltd camps

Unread postby charlie » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:59 am

All summer -sat & sun--sat 10:00 to 12:30 & 2:00 to 5:00--sun same hours!!! 150$ Club stats 2009( top male and female middle school vaulters in georgia) 15 region champions & 10 state champions -- 2huge pits and 2 fast rubber board runways--coach Charlie Polhamus ( 2time masters world champion & world record holder & slowest vaulter on the planet) teaches his own technique which is the same as the best femle vaulter ISE and male sergi. Fitzgerald, Georgia--cell 229-425-0575

altius
PV Rock Star

Re: world class sports ltd camps

Unread postby altius » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:33 pm

Wish I could get there to learn all the new stuff. ;)
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:15 pm

Have you ever talked technique and picked the brain of Isi, Bubka, and Petrov? If not, how can you be sure your own technique is the same as theirs? Just because they may do something with their body does not mean it is always their intention. Otherwise when they get stood up, you could say they meant to do it the whole time :confused: . This distinction between what they strive to do and they actually do is crucial to determining their technique.

Not that you arent a great coach, you obviously coach very successful athletes. But make sure your technique is that of petrovs and the WR holders before claiming so.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

charlie
PV Pro

CAMP

Unread postby charlie » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:01 pm

july 25&26--sat&sun--World Class Sports LTD--the club who had an astounding 17 region champions and off the charts 12 state champions in 2009 (#1 successful club in the nation) and who was coached by a 65 yr old vaulter that was using the Petrof model before Petrof in the 60's. learn the PRESS SUPPORT take off to become an elite vaulter-- 2 sessions a day and learn the drills that will separate you from everybody else--The camp is in fitzgerald , georgia-- contact the coach at champ8385@hotmail.com or Coach Charlie at cell 229-425-0575 you also can come fri & sat or sat and sun Cost for the camp is 150$

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:41 am

World Class Sports LTD track Club out of a small south georgia town, has 32 athletes from 4 states ( georgia -Florida-Alabama-Tenn ) 2009 polevault--8 State Champions & 10 Region Champions & Runners--3 State Champions & 4 Region Champions All coached by the Pv Guru in south Georgia!! Got to be some kind of record!!

All summer -sat & sun--sat 10:00 to 12:30 & 2:00 to 5:00--sun same hours!!! 150$ Club stats 2009( top male and female middle school vaulters in georgia) 15 region champions & 10 state champions -- 2huge pits and 2 fast rubber board runways--coach Charlie Polhamus ( 2time masters world champion & world record holder & slowest vaulter on the planet) teaches his own technique which is the same as the best femle vaulter ISE and male sergi. Fitzgerald, Georgia--cell 229-425-0575

july 25&26--sat&sun--World Class Sports LTD--the club who had an astounding 17 region champions and off the charts 12 state champions in 2009 (#1 successful club in the nation) and who was coached by a 65 yr old vaulter that was using the Petrof model before Petrof in the 60's. learn the PRESS SUPPORT take off to become an elite vaulter-- 2 sessions a day and learn the drills that will separate you from everybody else--The camp is in fitzgerald , georgia-- contact the coach at champ8385@hotmail.com or Coach Charlie at cell 229-425-0575 you also can come fri & sat or sat and sun Cost for the camp is 150$

Which number is correct? 8, 10 or 12? Sorry Charlie, but when you claim to have the "#1 successful club in the nation" you're going to ruffle a lot of feathers and stir up a lot of questions like..... How high are these kids jumping compared to other clubs across the country. It just doesn't seem very ethical to manufacture numbers and titles to drum up business for your camps and clinics.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:15 pm

""teaches his own technique which is the same as the best femle vaulter ISE and male sergi."

I would like some evidence that this statement is true. So Charlie, since it seems to be relatively easy to put up video on Utube or PVP, I would like to see film of athletes who represent your coaching methods. If this is not possible - and there seems to be no reason why it is not - at the very least I would like to know how high your top ten boys and girls have jumped - especially to win the state titles you claim.

It would also be interesting to know whether you have coached all of the athletes you claim from the very beginning of their vault career or, as seems to happen all to often in the USA, you are claiming athletes who have simply attended your camps or those you see occasionally.

I am entering this discussion because folk should know that I offered to come to your facility a few weeks ago - at least you would then have had the opportunity to discuss technique with someone who HAS talked with Bubka and Isinbayeva, HAS watched Petrov coach in both Italy and Australia and HAS worked alongside Parnov and Botcharnikov. You ignored the offer, apparently preferring to continue to make claims that I doubt you can support.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:09 pm

Bungee PR's dont count.

Besides there are clubs in arkansas with 50+ state champions and constant national contenders and winners in different divisions in less than 10 years. It's offensive to hear false statements like yours.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

NZ Vaulter
PV Fan

Re: CAMP

Unread postby NZ Vaulter » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:22 pm

charlie wrote: and who was coached by a 65 yr old vaulter that was using the Petrof model before Petrof in the 60's.

Petrof??? (Petrov) Probably a typo...

Interesting that you aren't using Altius to do a clinic to demonstrate this model to a very high level/standard. I would jump at the chance for Altius to do a camp if he was passing through my area.
NZ Vaulter

pvdad81
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College vaulter, Masters vaulter, Parent of College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Jonathan Webb

Unread postby pvdad81 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:38 pm

This thread raises an interesting question. Who should get credit for an athletes success? My son is a state champ and an all-american. I taught him to vault. However, he has worked with Doug Fraley, Earl Bell, Jeff Hartwig, Derek Miles, Tim McMichaels and even had a few pointers from Joe Dial. He has learned from all of us.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: CAMP

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:19 am

Charlie, I admire your enthusiasm and I commend you for your success in training a continuing list of state champs ... not to mention all your other athletes. I'm sure you're a great coach, and I recall that I've complimented you in the past for your "shoot like an arrow" analogy ... which I like. I think the technique that you've developed and that you coach might have some SIMILARITIES to the Petrov Model, but I very much doubt if it's as "complete" of a model as how Petrov trained Bubka and Isi. If I'm wrong in doubting this, please convince me. I mean no disrespect ... I'm just looking for supporting facts.

I'm concerned that you may not be coaching quite like Petrov. How can you possibly be doing so if you haven't studied his technique thoroughly ... followed it to the letter ... and THEN ... perhaps ... improved upon it? IMHO, only after having a thorough understanding of the Petrov Model can you possibly improve upon it.

In my Bryde Bend thread, I've described my technique, which I consider similar - but not identical - to the Petrov Model.

I hope you will consider describing YOUR technique for us to scritinize. I think you have a lot to offer not only your own athletes, but perhaps even us PV coaches. When you describe your technique ... perhaps by explaining how it differs from Petrov's ... I will give you fair and respectful advice on its merits ... and I hope others on PVP will do so too. I personally believe that your technique has merit ... even if it's not "pure Petrov". I even suspect that your technique might have some similarities to mine ... but until you describe yours, I won't know that for sure.

It's a shame that you didn't take Altius up on his offer to swing by your way for a camp. You would have had so much more to offer your athletes as a result of that learning experience. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I wasn't able to drive to Portland for Altius' camp with Rick Baggett ... even tho I was invited. I would have given my eye teeth to have been there! Since Rick has invited Altius back to Portland several times ... and judging by Rick's comments here on PVP ... I think each year it's been a positive experience for him.

charlie wrote: ... learn the PRESS SUPPORT take off to become an elite vaulter ...

Charlie, can you please explain what you mean by this? It doesn't sound like anything in the Petrov Model ... altho maybe you're just using different words to explain a similar Petrov concept?

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Andy_C
PV Pro

Unread postby Andy_C » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:09 am

pvdad81 wrote:This thread raises an interesting question. Who should get credit for an athletes success? My son is a state champ and an all-american. I taught him to vault. However, he has worked with Doug Fraley, Earl Bell, Jeff Hartwig, Derek Miles, Tim McMichaels and even had a few pointers from Joe Dial. He has learned from all of us.

The way you put it I would think you would be the one who would get credit for your son's success. Yes, we can all learn a lot of things from other people but the real coach of an athlete is there every day through thick and thin. I've worked with some people and have also discussed and learned lots of things here on PVP, but every time I go to training my coach is always there. I can remember back when I first started, when our pole vault club only had a handful of members and everybody else was on vacation - I was the only one who showed up to training but my coach was there every day, rain or shine, just to train me. That's just something an athlete never forgets.

To get into some of the other comments here, I think the *pure* Petrov Model is something that is exceedingly rare to see. It's very difficult to execute and you can forget about the execution if you don't actually know what it is or how to train for it! I've always said that the pole vault is one of the most deceptive sports to analyze - even people that study and follow the Petrov model can get things wrong if they never actually hear it straight from the horse's mouth. I can recall several times when I've been corrected by somebody "higher up the ladder of knowledge" regardless of how many videos I watch or papers/books I read. There are very few people in this world who can really talk the talk and walk the walk about the Petrov model at it's purest form - unless I'm forgetting anybody I believe all of them have some association with each other, either learning from one another or from Petrov directly or indirectly. You may be able to pick up most of the principles given enough time and resources, but if you REALLY want to know everything you would need to be mentored by one of these people. It also doesn't help that this model wasn't created in English and most of these Petrovite Coaches are Eastern European! There can be cases of lost in translation if an English speaker isn't walked through it carefully. If you've got an opportunity to attend a camp or host a camp with one of these individuals (particularly one that is a native English speaker) I highly recommend you do it! The Petrovite Coaches are like the Jedi from Star Wars, very difficult to find but extremely good at what they do! Turning one down only means you miss out on something special!
Hard work is wasted energy if you don't work wisely!

charlie
PV Pro

Unread postby charlie » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:58 am

Boy , I shure didn't know there were so many insecure coaches! At age 65 , I DOI NOT have to justify myself or make up ficticious stats, and I don't coach to make money, I coach to enhance kids lives ( i was ranked #1 in the world for 10 years in the old mens division. Incedently i was NOT a very good athlete, but OTHER vulters will tell you that i was the best technical vaulter they had ever seen. I teach what I did. I put my camps on pvp to make my expertese available to who ever, NOT TO MAKE MONEY, my blessings come from seeing a non athlete become succesful by achieveing over a gifted athlete!!! I think what my club did in ONE year was pretty darn good ( which i was told by MANY coaches) and i think THEY should get aplauded for what THEY did!! Coach Charlie

Return to “Website News and Camp/Competition Announcements”