Eastern PV Summit 2009

A forum to post announcements about clubs, camps, or competitions. Old posts are moved to the appropriate regional forum below. This is also a forum where I make announcements regarding PoleVaultPower.com. All other posts in this forum will be deleted. Please read the descriptions of the forums below, if your post is not a club/camp/competition, it does not belong in this forum.
mjaubbs40
PV Whiz

Eastern PV Summit 2009

Unread postby mjaubbs40 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:08 pm

We are slowly moving forward with planning a 2 day Pole Vault Summit-like event on the east side of the country, specifically the Buffalo-Rochester, New York area.
The tentative date is late March/early April, 2009.
Here is the tentative skeleton schedule--
Friday AM: registration & social
Friday afternoon: station clinics/presentations
Friday night: Elite competition
Saturday: all day competitions

The current plan is to setup 4-5 pits, but this will depend on the number of people interested (in both attending and participating), we can always go bigger or smaller if needed.

We would like to ask for your input: what do you want (in terms of presentations, presenters, athletes, education focus, and all the 1,000 other things that go into making a great summit like event)? The more feedback we receive, the better we can make this. And we need money, but we're working on this (of course anyone interested in sponsoring is more than welcome to step forward).

Please email me at mjaubbs40@yahoo.com with the subject line PV Summit with any questions, suggestions or interest. It is our hope to have a solid plan regarding site/date by September.
"If it were easy, everyone would do it"

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:10 am

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

vtcoach
PV Nerd
Expertise: College Coach

Unread postby vtcoach » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:11 pm

Given the date is this an outdoor event? An indoor event would be better since its success would not be at the mercy of the weather. Ideally, I would like to see an Eastern Summit, indoors, associated with a meet so that the marks would count for NCAA qualifying.

mjaubbs40
PV Whiz

Unread postby mjaubbs40 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:19 am

vtcoach wrote:Given the date is this an outdoor event? An indoor event would be better since its success would not be at the mercy of the weather.

This will be an indoor meet. It would most likely be after indoor NCAA's but before the outdoor season meets begin to pick up.
vtcoach wrote:Ideally, I would like to see an Eastern Summit, indoors, associated with a meet so that the marks would count for NCAA qualifying.

We are looking into this.

mjaubbs40
PV Whiz

Unread postby mjaubbs40 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:36 am

After a lot of great input from many people. We are considering changing the date. So, if it's wide open--when is the best time to hold a PV Summit indoors in the Buffalo/Rochester, NY area for 2009?
We need to hear from the people who would want to go, so here's your chance to have a say....

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:49 pm

Earlyish July! :D
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

vtcoach
PV Nerd
Expertise: College Coach

Unread postby vtcoach » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:04 am

My 2 cents -

You will get the most college participation if an indoor meet in NY were during the indoor season and counted for NCAA qualifying. If it ends up as an indoor meet during the outdoor sesason that does not count for outdoor NCAA regional qualifying, no colleges will want to send any one.

The best date would be one that avoided other major meet weekends:
(THESE DATES ARE MY GUESSES BASED ON WHEN THESE MEETS WERE HELD IN 2008)

March 14 - NCAA
March 7 - Sanctioned Last Chance Meets
Feb 28 - Most Conferences and USATF
Feb 21 - Big East and a few other conferences
Feb 14 - Tyson
Feb 7 - New Balance
Jan 31 - ?????????? - Maybe Here
Jan 24 - Penn State . Notre Dame, Princeton, Purdue - alot of N.E. invites
Jan 17 - ?????????? - Maybe Here
Jan 10 - alot of traditional season openers
Jan 3 - ???????? - Maybe Here - this might be the West Coast Summit date but participation by eastern colleges in the regular summit is almost zero anyway.

To count for NCAA qualifying:

1) the name of the meet must be shared... for example "XYZ track invite and Eastern PV Summit"
2) the registration process and registration fee must be the same for all events
3) you must hold the minimum number of events to count as NCAA meet... I am still trying to find out this number but you could probably get away with not having any of the horizontal jumps and use those runways for vaulting. You could also run most of the running events on a Friday of a two or three day meet.
4) the awards must be the same for all events
5) the results for all events must be jointly posted
6) all events must take place in the same venue unless there is a safety or facilities problem which requires moving an event. Are you looking at a track facility?

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:13 am

Suggest you avoid a clash with the Reno summit for small p political reasons.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

ec1vaulter
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach (All Levels)
Lifetime Best: 4.73

Unread postby ec1vaulter » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:25 pm

vtcoach wrote:3) you must hold the minimum number of events to count as NCAA meet... I am still trying to find out this number but you could probably get away with not having any of the horizontal jumps and use those runways for vaulting. You could also run most of the running events on a Friday of a two or three day meet.

The minimum number of events to be contested is 10.
What did you do to get better today?

Return to “Website News and Camp/Competition Announcements”