Recruiting question

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Recruiting question

Unread postby Lax PV » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:42 pm

I know you can start talking after the state meet the athletes junior year of HS, but how indepth can you go, and when? THere are a few kids I want to call and start the process with, but I am not sure when I can do that.

I would ask the head coach but he recently transfered to Wisconsin and we are in the process of interviewing for a new head coach.

Does anyone know?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:16 pm

I would talk to your compliance person at the school. DIII has a lot of different rules, so I couldn't tell you.

I would imagine you should be able to start now, but check with your compliance person, or athletic director to make sure.

ec1vaulter
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach (All Levels)
Lifetime Best: 4.73

Unread postby ec1vaulter » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:33 pm

you are able to begin the process upon the completion of their junior year. It's August now so you can contact anyone who will be a senior this year without a problem.
What did you do to get better today?

fchipr
PV Fan

Talking to soon to be seniors

Unread postby fchipr » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:36 pm

The NCAA says after July something Coaches can call and talk to athelets of interest directly, usally the first contacts are via letter and since the college usally does not have there address they send a letter to the HS atten PV Johnny.

These are usually written/signed by T&F head coach or school recruiter and generally say we noticed your performance last year in outdoor season (they check out the 11th graders for sure. They do this because nearly all the 15/15-6 foot plus seniors have already cimmitted.The leter is their means to ask for your transcripts, GPA, and SAT scores.

Sometimes they express more specific interest about visiting the campus etc.

They want to see class/SAT test stuff because that is the basis for being qualified to compete in D-1 or D-2 level athletics.

They need to see if the PV kid has the proper "core" classes and SAT results. No sense in him(coach) going any further in the schools process of selecting which kids to offer financial assistance if academic qualification is not going to happen or requires miracle help.

There are restrictions on expense limits for the college during an "offical" visit (ie college pays travel , lodgeing, meals), and the kid has restrictions on how many "official" visits he/she is allowed, (5 I think) But no limits too how many unofficial visits. (kid pays his travel/lodging).

Check out the NCAA website via the CLEARINGHOUSE website. All the restrictions, rules for first college year eligibility are there etc etc.

In fact I had a question on wheathr D-3 folks can even give financial assistance. I bettter go take my own afdce and check........

PS: I have a 11th grader, (2007 season senior) that is going thru that process now, as he has been contacted by two D-2 and one D-1 school between July and today. California kid, coach. He went 14-7 in the rain for a PR last year. we'll add 18" on that mark no doubt this season. Need a vaulter? Check DYESTAT

Coach c

ec1vaulter
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach (All Levels)
Lifetime Best: 4.73

Unread postby ec1vaulter » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:13 am

In fact I had a question on wheathr D-3 folks can even give financial assistance.

D3 cannot give financial assistance in terms of athletic scholarships. During visits they can cover the cost of food and housing but not transportation.
What did you do to get better today?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:37 am

DIII schools can't give athletic scholarships, but many offer a lot of financial aid that is not athletic-related. If a kid talks about getting a scholarship from a DIII school, they probably did get financial aid, but it is not an athletic scholarship.

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”