Pole vault tools to help athletes accelerate learning curve

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

LPVG
PV Fan

Pole vault tools to help athletes accelerate learning curve

Unread postby LPVG » Thu May 25, 2006 12:02 pm

Hello fellow coaches:
Here is a link to a new pole vault tools website
http://www.elitepolevaulttools.com/
I am considering selling these tools, but I need some basic market research before I do so. I believe that you, the coaches, are the people that would use them.

You cannot Google for this site as it is not yet optimized for the web.
Thank you in advance for taking time to review the site, the tools and to provide feedback.

Clay Taft
(LPVG)
Last edited by LPVG on Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

Re: Pole vault tools website. Need your feedback

Unread postby cdmilton » Thu May 25, 2006 1:29 pm

Some of your items look intersting. I would like to see more on how the pool pole looks/works.
Chris Milton

LPVG
PV Fan

Unread postby LPVG » Thu May 25, 2006 2:18 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. The Pool Pole is a piece of Schedule 40 pvc about 8-10' long. It is butted into a waterproof joint that I designed. The attachment point at the base weight must be drilled so that the hitch pin can be inserted. That small section fills with water. The main pole is sealed off from water, so it floats.

I'll put up a "wrong way and results" video along with the current video. Hope that will give you the info you need.
Clay
Last edited by LPVG on Thu May 25, 2006 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LPVG
PV Fan

Unread postby LPVG » Thu May 25, 2006 4:19 pm

Hi Chris:
I uploaded new video. The two videos show the cause and effect of not balancing on the pole. The athlete on the left has balance and can easily extend upward. Her limiting factor is gravity when she breaks the surface. The athlete on the right tucks up, never gets to the pole and thus cannot effectively push off the top.

We start this exercise in an 8 ft pool and move to the 13' diving pool when I am sure the athlete is very comfortable in the water. As always, someone that is a water safety certified should be on the deck and/or in the pool with the athlete when doing this exercise.

We mostly use 20 lbs. on the base weight. Some athletes are naturally bouyant and have a tough time getting down to the pool bottom. A 20 lb. base allows the athlete to quickly pull themselves to the bottom of the pool without moving the pole around.

Hope this helps
Clay

cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

Unread postby cdmilton » Fri May 26, 2006 7:57 am

Yeah, looks intersting. We currently do pool vaulting but by using an old pole and holding from the top. Trying to maintain balance would be another more difficult thing to work on. Do you have any bigger pictures of the device? Specifically of how the pole is attached to the weight?
Chris Milton

science geek
PV Whiz
Expertise: HS Coach, occasional beginning vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9' 6
Favorite Vaulter: Crash

Unread postby science geek » Fri May 26, 2006 1:39 pm

Nice website, I like the videos.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:46 am

good morning

some of the greatest looking tools i have ever seen...

awesome...

i've used the box plant "hurdle"... drill.. a great confidence builder...

dj
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

LPVG
PV Fan

Unread postby LPVG » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:39 pm

Hi DJ:
Thanks for the input. I wish I could get more people to respond (positively or negatively) because I would really like to either start producing them or chalk it up to experience. Everyone who uses them loves them.
Tell your friends to look at the site and take a moment to download the survey, fill it out and send it to me. it would be a great help
Thanks
Clay Taft

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:19 pm

I'm trying to talk my AD into buying the pole loading tool for our indoor track. I'm willing to buy it out of my pocket if he will install it.

Ahhhhhhhhh, the never ending struggle. "Well, we have to look into the safety issues."

I'm like, it's the prefect tool for when it's 1000 degrees below zero outside and it's not going to take up any space.

I would order more but we have no room to install.

LPVG
PV Fan

Unread postby LPVG » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:03 pm

Hi vcpvcoach:
Thanks for the vote of confidence on the pole loading tool. It really is an incredible tool. Just last week, I was able to teach an old decathlete how to load a pole. He hadn't jumped in years and wanted to get back into it. He was able to translate the load experience to the runway almost immediately.

Unfortunately, I can't sell these products to anyone right now. As I stated on my home page, I need to do research to determine if there is enough of a market out there to invest in startup costs. The fabrication equipment cost is relatively low. The real startup cost is product liability insurance. Although these tools are so overbuilt from a strength/failure aspect, our litigious society requires me to carry this insurance. I know these tools won't fail if they are taken care of and used correctly. Actually, the pole load tool is the safest tool of all. The steel I use is sufficiently strong to haul a trailer. Also, the athlete is close to the ground. Pretty difficult to get hurt.

So far, everyone I have talked to thinks these tools are great. But the numbers are still relatively small, so I need some more confidence that people really want to buy them. Steve Chappel, President of UCS Spirit, also thinks they are great. He told me not to give up. There is a market out there.

Tell coaches you know to review the website, download the survey and send it back to me. The faster I get positive responses, the faster I can get them into production. I would also appreciate it if you could fill one out and send it to me.

Thanks
Clay Taft

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”