vaulter can't get over the confidence "hump"

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

DaveP
PV Newbie

vaulter can't get over the confidence "hump"

Unread postby DaveP » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:00 am

Hi all.....new member here...

I have a kid who is a great athlete (HS Junior), enthusiastic, really good speed and strength......fearless over the hurdles...will do anything asked of him.

But, I can't get him to attack the pole just that one time to see what the vault is supposed to feel like and to understand that he can CONTROL the pole and not let it control him. He honestly has the strength and speed to really be a great vaulter. But his mind is ...well..you know...interfering.

I am about out of ideas. I keep telling him that if he will drive through the pole as if he is long jumping to the back of the pit (he is a 19'6" LJ'er, and power the pole with his lower arm...that he will get it. But...???

Any and all suggestions welcome. Drills? Mind tricks? This kid could be great and I don't want to fail him.

Dave

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:13 pm

shorter run. lower grip. smaller pole.

short vaulting is a great tool for confidence problems....
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:06 am

ashcraftpv is right on the money. Short runs will build that confidence. Something we do from time to time is have stiff pole contests. 3-4 lefts holding low. The goal is to jump your handgrip. They learn to jump off the ground and have to rely on swing speed to make the bungee. Oh yeah, our "bungee rules" don't allow for the bungee to be touched. Not even a graze or it's a miss.

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”