I need Help (New Coach)

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

TRPcoach
PV Newbie

I need Help (New Coach)

Unread postby TRPcoach » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:17 pm

Hey all you coaches out there. I am a new high school indoor track coach. I was a mid distance runner in college know nothing about the vault. I am now coaching a small high school team (23 boys and girls). Here are the specifics of my situation. I only have one vaulter, a senior girl who has vaulter for 3 year with no coaching at all. She has vaulted 8'6" but never gets an opportunity to practice. We have no indoor facility and we are going to be going to a college track once a week but I was informed that they do not have a pole valut pit set up there. She has told me that the only time that she gets to practice is during the meets. I am really at a loss for what I should have her do during the week at practice. Any suggestions would be great. Any type of drills or anything. Also when she does get to a meet what are some simple things that I should be looking for to make sure that she is doing correctly. Also, and i know that this may sound dumb but what size pole should she use. She is about 5'5" 125-135 lbs. Any help at all would be great! Thanks

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:10 pm

Contact Sean Brown at Neovault for resources. ;)
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

LPVG
PV Fan

Unread postby LPVG » Fri May 26, 2006 9:24 pm

Altius is too humble. Buy Beginner To Bubka. it is available on Neovault.
Good luck
LPVG

science geek
PV Whiz
Expertise: HS Coach, occasional beginning vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9' 6
Favorite Vaulter: Crash

Unread postby science geek » Sat May 27, 2006 2:39 am

i coached for 2 years without a pit or runway. It works well for the plant and the run because that is all you can do for the most part. I would build a sliding box (you can buy them if you want) and practice sliding plants like crazy. You can also have her work on planting against a wall if you spot her to make sure she doesn't fall. It works even better if you can put a mirror on the wall so that she can see what she is doing with her pole during the plant. Also I would find a place that you can set up some gymanstic rings and use them to practice swinging to get upside down. I had multiple 11' jumpers and a 13' boy as well as an 8' and a 9' girl. Good luck

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Sat May 27, 2006 10:06 pm

Please Please Please, fill out your profile so we know where you are. Chances are there's a club that is "right up the street" from you that you can get some pit time at. But we can't help you if you don't tell us where you are. Later............Mike

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”