I'm a brand new coach to pole vault and want to learn.

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

a lad named Will
PV Newbie

I'm a brand new coach to pole vault and want to learn.

Unread postby a lad named Will » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:50 pm

I'm a distance runner turned pole vault coach (GA) at a college and was hoping for any good information on training (lifting, running, workouts, technique)
I always wanted to vault in high school and college but never got the chance because my coaches were afraid of injuries so now I'm hoping to gain some knowledge to help these vaulters

if it's been successful let me know
even week/month/year schedules are welcome
thanks
Former distance runner learning how to coach pole vault

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:52 pm

I think the key to a successful vault program, regardless of previous experience or knowledge, is spending the time with your vaulters during practice. Give them feedback after every vault and be positive even when they're having an "off" day. It's not an easy event.

If you get to know how they react in certain situations, (i.e. pole progressions, grip changes, run adjustments, etc.), it will be easier to make calls when it's crunch time.

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:44 pm

I agree with AVC Coach, be positive!

Here are a few things that I have found helpful in coaching the vault:

Video Camera - my wife dreads track season because I'm up to 1:00 am every night studying film and making notes for my jumpers. Once a week, if you have time, review the film with your athletes.

Pole vault tapes and DVDs - I used Jan Johnson's Skyjumper series and Spencer Chang's Vault 2000 but I hear that Earl Bell has a great tape. The idea is to learn the drills that your vaulters will need to get better.

Many hour of PV clinic's - get your school to pay for PV clinics. I go to clinic's before every season. The great thing about our event is that good coaches share their knowledge. Use your video camera to tape the drills and lectures.

After you have gained technical knowledge from alot of sources, decide which will work for you and your vaulters.

Oh, yea, have fun!!!!

Good luck

IndyCoach
PV Nerd
Expertise: High School Coach

Unread postby IndyCoach » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:02 pm

One thing I work with is to teach them three easy things to start off with. "Early, High, Straight" Make sure they get their plant up early, make sure their plant is hight and make sure they are keeping their arms straight. As they progress you will also. There are plenty of people out here to help, be sure to take advantage of them.

I would definately recomend a video camara. I know that I will watch for a few specific things, but it isn't until after we look at video that you can really break down their vault.

stavhoppare
PV Fan
Expertise: Former Elite Vaulter, Olympic and Div. Coach
Lifetime Best: 17'8 3/4
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Isackson

Unread postby stavhoppare » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:21 am

Performing at the Peak
$39.95
with Dick Railsback,
5X All-American, former University of Nebraska Field Events Coach
Two-time USA National Champion Dick Railsback provides over 30 pole vaulting drills intended to enhance both the beginner and advanced pole vaulter. Correct mechanics are explained and demonstrated for proper grip, pole carry, plant, takeoff, penetration, inversion, extension, and turn. Drills are visually explained in regular speed, slow motion, and stop action for maximum learning.

58 minutes. 2002. ISBN 1-56404-898-5.

Championship Productions, Inc.
2730 Graham St
Ames, IA 50010

Phone: 515.232.3687
Fax: 515.232.3739
Toll-free: 1.800.873.2730
e-mail: info@championshipproductions.com

stavhoppare
PV Fan
Expertise: Former Elite Vaulter, Olympic and Div. Coach
Lifetime Best: 17'8 3/4
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Isackson

Unread postby stavhoppare » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:35 am

PERFORMING AT THE PEAK--TECHNIQUE
Dick Railsback,
5X All-American and 2X National Champion, former Olympic Vault Coach, former University of Nebraska Coach, and World-renowned Clinician/expert on the Pole Vault
Coach Railback provides a comprehensive look at every aspect of women's pole vaulting with demonstrations, a plethora of information, and a direct, easy-to-understand approach. Everything about teaching and learning the pole vault is included in this video: concepts, pole speed, running with the pole, approach, plant, take off, follow-through, inversion, clearance, and much, much more! Any coach or vaulter serious about the event will learn something from this video!

56 minutes. 2002. ISBN 1-56404-924-8.
See more by: Dick Railsback
See related products: Pole Vault Women's Track & Field Videos and Books

Championship Productions, Inc.
2730 Graham St
Ames, IA 50010

Phone: 515.232.3687
Fax: 515.232.3739
Toll-free: 1.800.873.2730
e-mail: info@championshipproductions.com

a lad named Will
PV Newbie

Unread postby a lad named Will » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:39 pm

thanks for the help
Former distance runner learning how to coach pole vault

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

New Coach

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:49 am

You are not far from Clermont Fla. You SHOULD get in touch with DJ and spend some time there with him. It would be like a turbo course on how to coach the vault. It would be the best money you can spend.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:08 pm

Contact Sean Brown at Neovault for resource materials. ;)
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

LPVG
PV Fan

Unread postby LPVG » Mon May 22, 2006 11:45 pm

Hi Lad.Welcome to PVP and vaulting. Another book that should grace your library is "Beginner to Bubka". You can get it at Neovault. Another source I found very helpful is to watch the coaches at meets that consistently produce quality athletes. Engage them and learn from them. My sense is that the vault community is tight enough that they will mentor you. I have coach buddies that I introduce to others as "one of my original mentors". They may get embarrassed, but it is true. There are so many great coaches out there that are willing to share their knowledge.

Never stop learning. The more I learn, the more I find I need to learn.
LPVG

GeorgeN
PV Nerd

new coach

Unread postby GeorgeN » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:41 pm

https://www.pvscb.com/login.aspx?Return ... yment.aspx

copy and paste the above into search. it is a good site. It will give you confidence. Print out the pages for your records and reference.
If you don't have the ability, and you don't have the desire...............

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”