Introduction and first question

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

huskerfan1200
PV Newbie

Introduction and first question

Unread postby huskerfan1200 » Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:33 pm

Hello everyone...

I have been lurking on the board for a year or so and finally decided to "jump" in... ;)

I am currently the jumps coach at a small HS in SE Minnesota (DistanceJumper is one of my vaulters). I am looking at implementing the 'free take-off' with one of my vaulters this coming season and would like to ask the first of what I am sure will be many questions.

Considering the fragile nature of the HS vaulter in terms of technique, training and routine, what methods of implementation (successes and not so successful) did you try with your vaulters who were just beginning with the 'free take-off' technique?

I have been studying this method with the BTB book and the expertise on this site and have a good idea of what I would like to do in the beginnings of the season, but would appreciate any feedback from those that have gone before.

Thanks in advance...

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:12 am

Sand Vaults - well explained in BTB
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:26 am

Do any running drills to help with consistency. A free take off leaves little room for variation in take off foot position.

- master

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

running drills

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Wed May 17, 2006 12:41 pm

Here's a set of drills that I use on high school kids (boys and girls) and on collegiate athletes that really brings their confidence and consistancy in the run UP! It takes four lanes on the track. If the vault runway is parallel with the track lanes it helps to try to associate the start of the drills with the start of the approach on the runway. Select a line painted on the track or draw on with chalk. If the above condition applies make the line approximately the same as the take-off point. Now, in the first lane measure 5'1" from the first line away from the pit. Make a mark with chalk or what ever. Repeat until there are seven marks including the take off mark. In the second lane do the same with the marks 5'3" apart. In the third 5' 6" and the fourth 5'9".

Now go to the first lane that you marked. Have your athletes toe the 7th mark. Then run away from the marks and catch their second left (for right handers). Go to the second lane and toe the mark and run back four lefts and mark it. Go to the third lane and toe the mark and run back six lefts. Do this for each athlete. Now what you have are lanes marked for 5 left pole runs, 7 left pole runs, and 9 left pole runs (remember it's a drill. so even if they don't use a 9 left approach do the drill anyway).

Now have the athletes run at the marks. The first is their "mid" mark. They should be aware of roughly where this is and where the take off is. they will begin to run these marks hitting each mark and taking off at the last mark. This is an awesome drill and has HUGH results. I've never seen anything work like it.

master
PV Lover

Unread postby master » Wed May 17, 2006 1:41 pm

ladyvolscoach,

Just want to check on something. You had us layout 4 lanes (5'1", 5'3", 5'6" and 5'9" line spacing) but it seems you only had us use 3 of them (5, 7 and 9 lefts). Was this intentional? Or did I not understand something?

Does this imply that all vaulters have very near the same stride length? Or does it imply that we should all learn to have the same stride length because there is an optimal length? (Within reason, obviously.)

I can envision how this could develop a lot of run consistancy which I definately believe is a critical aspect of the vault. As a coach, I see entirely too much practice time and energy absolutely wasted, and my vaulter's give as their reason "my steps were off". I hate those words!

- master

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

running drills

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Wed May 17, 2006 1:45 pm

Thanks, Master. The last two lanes are 9 left drills.....my bad!!

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

running drills

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Wed May 17, 2006 1:50 pm

Master, It doesn't matter if the vaulters are tall or short or boys or girls. Their starting points will not be the same but once they hit their mid marks the stride lengths will be the same. I know some will argue that taller inseems will have longer stride lengths and I butted my head against the logic of this myself. But once I started doing the drills the results were sooo good that I just gave in and accepted it. I have video of two vaulters that I put in Dartfish. One is 5'6 and the other is 5'1. They start in different spots but once they hit their mids they blend into one person. There is absolutely no diff in their stride lengths or frequency. Go figure!

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Thu May 18, 2006 8:08 pm

David, it would be great to PM or give huskerfan a link to see that dartfish. I wouldn't mind seeing it too. Welcome aboard Coach Todd, we've been waiting for you. By the way, I got some buns for the pit. OH YEAH! Makes it a lot better. Later...............Mike
Last edited by souleman on Thu May 18, 2006 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

dartfish

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Thu May 18, 2006 8:42 pm

Hey, Mike I'll be happy to share that video with anyone interested. I'm not sure just how to post it here. Some help with that and I'll give it to anyone interested.....go buns!

master
PV Lover

Unread postby master » Thu May 18, 2006 8:50 pm

ladyvolspvcoach,

If you either send it to me, or give me a URL where I can download it, I am willing to host it on my site and post a public link to it.

- master

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Thu May 18, 2006 9:23 pm

All I have to do (besides learn how to jump) is get the runway in and the permanent lighting in and I'll have me one hum dinger of a setup. Huskerfan and Distancevaulter are the two that helped me get the main sections of my pit. By the way Huskerfan, How is Distancevaulter doing this year? Later...........Mike

master
PV Lover

Re: dartfish

Unread postby master » Fri May 19, 2006 1:14 pm

ladyvolspvcoach wrote:Hey, Mike I'll be happy to share that video with anyone interested. I'm not sure just how to post it here. Some help with that and I'll give it to anyone interested.....go buns!

You can view this video withthis link.
ladyvolspvcoach wants you to know:
When you look at the movie remember the girl with the pink t shirt is not wearing the black tights.

Enjoy. - master

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”