Compensation

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

Cooleo111
PV Pro
Expertise: HS/College/Post-collegiate vaulter, coach
Lifetime Best: 4.80

Compensation

Unread postby Cooleo111 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:39 am

I am hoping to start coaching at the high school level beginning this year, and am anticipating running into compensation issues with potential schools that I'd like to work for. I know many schools, especially public ones, are on a tight budget. However, I am a busy guy and don't really think I will have time to coach if I don't at least break even monetarily. I realize this looks bad as we should all be here for love of the sport, but I have plenty of expenses to pay!
I came here to find out what kinds of creative means for compensation you coaches have worked out in the past? I know of some coaches who earn a salary, and others who have simply exchanged their time and expertise for access to poles, facilities, etc. Any other bright ideas? :idea:

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Re: Compensation

Unread postby VaultPurple » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:13 pm

If you are not the high schools head track and field coach there is not a very good chance they will pay you at all. The only people I know that have coached at a high school and made any money out of it allow the students at that school to jump for free in exchange for use of facilities and they run a weekend clinic that they charge.

But typically speaking you have to start off pretty close to free unless you have your own facility and poles because you have to establish a name for yourself in that area. One big problem coaches face when starting coaching and trying to get any money out of it is that no one in that area pole vaults. So you are not charging pole vaulters that want to get better, you are charging people that you are still trying to convince to even try the event in the first place.

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:00 pm

I guess it depends where you are. Here in Wisconsin I have a friend that is just the vault coach at a local public high school, and I believe she gets over $2000 for coaching march through June.
Man Up and Jump

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:17 am

At one school we didn't have enough stipends to go around, but I got the profit from t-shirt sales at our invitational. Helped cover expenses anyway.

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”