National Pole Vault Safety Certification

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

National Pole Vault Safety Certification

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:22 pm

Jan Johnson just got his national safety certification system in place. It is not required yet, but he hopes to have it mandatory nationwide within the next year or two. Go check it out.

http://www.pvscb.com/

They have not decided yet what they are going to do about states like WA that already have a safety certification program in place.

My only concern right now is that the cost (40 bucks) is a bit steep for those coaches who are really poor and their school won't cover it. I talked to Jan about that and mentioned maybe making the t-shirt and the HS rule book optional.

But yeah go check it out and post your thoughts!

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Mon Jan 20, 2003 11:19 pm

It has always bugged me that the pole vault safety board is pretty much run by guys that stand to profit from the rules and equipment standards they come up with...equipment dealers and camp coaches.
It'll be interesting to see exactly whose pocket that $39.95 for safety certification goes in. Wait hold on...I'll give you a condensed version for $29.95...don't hold too high on too soft of a pole, make sure the facilities meet specs put down in the rules ten years ago, and don't be a dumb a**. There ya go. Feel free to mail me that cash or money order.

Just a personal opinion.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

zack

Unread postby zack » Tue Jan 21, 2003 3:16 am

Definitely a step in the right direction but I have to agree with achtungpv.

Decamouse
PV Great
Expertise: Masters vaulter, coach, USATF Official
Favorite Vaulter: Kate Dennison

Unread postby Decamouse » Tue Jan 21, 2003 8:18 am

Being a bureaucrat one should understand that most things are not free - and he who provides a service -espicaaly on the front of the wave can charge for it - lets see - what is the cost of the Rule Book - that fee is small compred to many professional fees and lic. - and most important - if it helps the sport survive (helps keep insurance rates lower) then it probably is the "old cost of doing business"
Plant like crap sometimes ok most times

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:33 pm

Well I'll tell ya what it's like after sat. I'm going to the WA cert training that is req up in bellingham.

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Tue Jan 21, 2003 8:15 pm

I think that training coaches on safty is very important, one question I have is why is the certification good for only one year. I don't think the world of pole vault safty is evolving at a rate that would require that freq. of recertifacation. In WA the cert. is good for three years.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jan 21, 2003 10:20 pm

Robert schmitt wrote:I think that training coaches on safty is very important, one question I have is why is the certification good for only one year.

Email Jan and ask him. jan@skyjumpers.com He'll probably say that he will be constantly updating the information, etc. I think the idea of paying 20 bucks every year to Jan is a little crazy...

lonpvh
PV Pro

Unread postby lonpvh » Wed Jan 22, 2003 10:19 pm

I agree with Devereaux,
I'm not gonna take a certification until I know where that money is going to. Someone please find out. I'm getting suspecious of the rash of people looking to make quick money off of us. LB

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jan 22, 2003 10:23 pm

I would not recommend taking any certification until it actually means something. Right now none of this counts for anything...

zack

Unread postby zack » Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:42 pm

Well for Washington it will count next year.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:31 am

zack wrote:Well for Washington it will count next year.

The WA certification is a totally separate deal. And yes it will be required by the end of next year I think for WA coaches.

I meant that I would not recommend anyone pay 40 bucks for any online certifications that mean very little now.

dstarkey
PV Beginner
Expertise: Former Elite Vaulter, Former College coach
Lifetime Best: 19'5"

Unread postby dstarkey » Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:06 pm

Hey Guys,

This is Dean Starkey here. I am one of the directors for the PVSCB and want to help clarify some of your issues.

1. Frequency of certification- We biggest reason we think that getting certified annually will be to ensure that all new rules are learned by all coaches. However this is still up for debate and may change.

2. Cost of the certification- Both Jan and I make decent money in our normal jobs. For the past 5 months we have put aside a considerable mount of time and money trying to get this project off the ground. I have turned down many paying jobs over these months which I will probably ever fully recover. This will also be an ongoing job for us. No one is getting rich from this! It is costing us money.

Someone had to finally make the commitment to do someting like this but who has the time or money to spend? This is one of the reasons it has taken so long to get sometihing like this going. This was no easy task.

The cost to build the site was not cheap either. I have a developer that works for me at eSellSolutions that I normally hire out at $125 an hour working on this for a few months.

To date we have not personally recieved one penny in compensation and will not for quite some time.

It is time to make take safety to a level of professionalism rather than treating it like a hobby. Yes, its going to cost some money.

Where some of the money will actually be going-

Part time Salary- Jan Johnson
Part time Salary- Dean Starkey
Safety study grants - We provide grants for research into saftey issues.
Operating expenses- office supplies, administrative, advertising, postage,
etc.
Board meetings, Travel expenses, Clinincs,

We are also working on a way to help coaches and schools that have a very tight budget. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Regional Safety Certifications- We know there has been some work done
regionally on safety certification. However, this country needs an
nationally accepted program that has the ability to educate ALL coaches, in the basics of pole vaulting the same way. We cannot rely on individual regions, or clincs to do this on there own because their is no assurance that the curriculum taught at these events will be adaquate. Our plan is to build a nationawide network of coaching clinics and camps that help coaches and vaulters pass a national certification test. It is our hope that this will help reduce accidents and liability. We feel we can do this by offering a generic program that educates and tests vaulters and coaches the following areas:
1. HS rules
2. Safety
3. Basic skills progressions
4. Pole Vault Energy equation and landing in the PLZ

Our basic goal has been to develop a program whereby the beginning coach and or vaulter will be able to understand and participate utilizing basic pole vaulting techniques and concepts assuming they have never participated before the PVSCB course.

I welcome all comments.

Sincerely,

Dean Starkey
P.V.S.C.B
dean@pvscb.com

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”