"Cafeteria" style Vaulting

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

vaultdad
PV Whiz
Expertise: An Official
Favorite Vaulter: Jillian Schwartz!

"Cafeteria" style Vaulting

Unread postby vaultdad » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:25 pm

Has anyone ever been in the PV event where it was done "cafeteria style" and they move to bar to accomodate the jumper at the time?

I saw this today at a local school meet, and it was done only for the girls varsity. :dazed: TO SAVE TIME . . .

Apparently more schools need their PV official to actually READ the rules book, and this was done with the blessing of "meet management".

Treat them both the same when they compete. I'm tired of seeing one group get the short end of the stick.
Vaulting Incognito "I saw those tubes on your truck, and I thought you were a plumber . . ."

Peepers PV
PV Pro

Unread postby Peepers PV » Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:10 am

I have a question about bar progression- if you start out going at an 8 in progression can you later on change it to 6in even though there are still like 4 or 5 people left in the competition? What's hs rule on bar progression?
"look, you either join the team and go to practice or do drugs- that's just how it is! it's track or crack!" - mikey

Aviendha
PV Pro
Expertise: Current Collegiate Vaulter

Unread postby Aviendha » Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:10 pm

i remember a meet one year...i think it was the Wash U invitational (for anybody from missouri who knows...) where we started at one height, then jumped up a foot, and i think there might have been a third one foot increment, then went in 6 inch increments. there were a TON of vaulters in this meet, so it was to speed things up...i think the guys did the same thing too...
~Why does everyone prefer those who lie and make themselves less than they are, rather than those who embrace who they are, rejoice in it, and refuse to pretend anything less?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:08 pm

Peepers PV wrote:I have a question about bar progression- if you start out going at an 8 in progression can you later on change it to 6in even though there are still like 4 or 5 people left in the competition? What's hs rule on bar progression?

I believe that is up to the meet director. As far as I know, the only rules about bar progression is that the bar cannot be moved back down (except in a jumpoff), and it cannot be moved up in larger increments, meaning you can't start the meet going 3 inches at a time then change it to 6 inches (I think the exception is if you are the last jumper). The 8 inches to 6 inches doesn't sound like it is breaking any rules unless the meet itself has set rules.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:45 pm

Peepers PV wrote:I have a question about bar progression- if you start out going at an 8 in progression can you later on change it to 6in even though there are still like 4 or 5 people left in the competition? What's hs rule on bar progression?

Yes, you can decrease the increment (but not increase it) as long as that decrease is stated in the bar progression prior to the start of the competition.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

BritDawg118
PV Nerd

Unread postby BritDawg118 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:51 pm

at Texas Relays this year, we went up 6" and then when we got to 11, we went to 11'4 and then to save time, we jumped up 6" to 11'10 when we were supposed to go to 11'8.
"Pole Vaulting is by far the coolest sport ever!!!"-ME

1yeldud1
PV Pro

Unread postby 1yeldud1 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:00 pm

We went to a school meet last year and it just so happened that out of the clear blue when my son and 2 of the home team vaulters were the only ones left the home school's A.D. decided to only go in 3 inch increments unannounced to the vaulters or other school coaches in the rules meeting. I protested this to the gentleman running the pole vault and he agreed that this was not fair and rejected the idea. The A.D. from the home school got real "red" and mad. He proceded to explain that he could throw anyone he wanted out of the stadium and if anyone complained again he would give them a early ticket home.

belmore
PV Pro

Unread postby belmore » Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:03 pm

BritDawg is right about the Relays, there was a glitch in the bar progression in her session of vaulting, it just wasn't caught in time, I should have checked that myself, I didn't and screwed up. There is no "cafereia style" for the vault. Meet management can set up a starting height and then bump up the next bar, say start at 10 to negate no heights and then jump up 20cm or 9 inches to progress the comp. This is usually done at Reno and other meets with lots of vaulters. The Texas Relays in the A section of the girls set the starting height too low and then went to a lower bar progression not counting on the fact that these young ladies have improved drastically. Like I said the error was found too late and made an other wise greaat comp a little screwy. Ok, here I pass the blame on to these girl vaulters, they got way too good, too quick. Texas girls can pole vault! It took awhile for girls to get to vault here, so I guess the thinking was, it would take awhile for them to jump high. Well, new thinking is now required, Texas ladies are gettin after it.
compete and jump safe, have fun

BritDawg118
PV Nerd

Unread postby BritDawg118 » Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:22 am

Amen Brian! :)
"Pole Vaulting is by far the coolest sport ever!!!"-ME

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”