NCAA rule question

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

NCAA rule question

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:46 pm

After a vaulter finishes an attempt, are they allowed to come off the pit, grab their pole, which is in the box, and check their step by doing a standing plant?
Man Up and Jump

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Re: NCAA rule question

Unread postby VaultPurple » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:32 pm

Do not think there is a rule against it. Unlike shot and discus there are no rules stating which way you must leave the pole vault pit, so if you feel like putting your hands over your head on the way out I don't think there is much of a rule to stop it.

VaultMarq26
PV Lover

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:13 pm

An official at the meet I coached at was stuck on that it was illegal for an athlete to use the runway during competition for warmups or practice. He couldnt' give me a rule number so I am wondering if he was a little confused.
Man Up and Jump

botakatobi
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former vaulter. College, HS and elite coach. Master level USATF official
Lifetime Best: 15'1"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Seagren, Davies, Meadows, Rand

Unread postby botakatobi » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:28 am

There is a rule that forbids an athlete from using the runway for practice purposes after the competition starts. The exception would be for those who have not had an initial vault and an hour has passed since the beginning of the competition.

An official could warn the athlete if he/she thought they were taking too much time after the vault to leave the runway. This could be an issue if they were holding up the next vaulter. If the step check was quick and the next vaulter was not ready, it would not be an issue.

VaultMarq26
PV Lover

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:21 pm

botakatobi wrote:There is a rule that forbids an athlete from using the runway for practice purposes after the competition starts. The exception would be for those who have not had an initial vault and an hour has passed since the beginning of the competition.

An official could warn the athlete if he/she thought they were taking too much time after the vault to leave the runway. This could be an issue if they were holding up the next vaulter. If the step check was quick and the next vaulter was not ready, it would not be an issue.

He was trying to say that rule applied in this situation, but when there is no crossbar up and the athlete spends less than 5 seconds on the runway I don't feel that it would be considered a warm-up or practice. For some vaulters it could even be a safety issue to determine if they ar under.

I personally never do it, but I see it constantly and it never holds the meet up.
Man Up and Jump

botakatobi
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former vaulter. College, HS and elite coach. Master level USATF official
Lifetime Best: 15'1"
Favorite Vaulter: Seagren, Davies, Meadows, Rand

Unread postby botakatobi » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:43 pm

If the bar was not yet up for the next vaulter, it should not be a rule violation. The previous vaulter checking their step on the runway was not holding anyone else up.

Officials need to remember that athletes work hard for their moment to compete. Quickly checking one's step after a vault should not be an issue.

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:00 pm

You can go here:

http://www.ncaapublications.com/s-5-Playing-rules.aspx?pagenum=2&view=0

and download the rule book for free.

VaultMarq26
PV Lover

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:31 pm

I have that rule book and it states nothing specifically about planting the pole to catch step. I guess the question is does standing at your step count as a warm-up?
Man Up and Jump

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”