moving up the pole?

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

gldnram80
PV Newbie

moving up the pole?

Unread postby gldnram80 » Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:17 pm

Just looking for a little information. I have a boy wo is stuck at 12'9 for 3 years. Just can'tget 13'. When he is on a 160 lb 13' he blows through the pole. He is now on a 165lb pole holding at 12'6. He has had at leasxt 15 attempts at 13' and always hits it at the top with his arm or chest comming down. 95% of the time he is in the middle of the pit in the safe area. Question is should i suggest he hold higher on the pole? any comments, training suggesting drills, or hand position would be appreciated

patybobady
PV Pro
Expertise: High School Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'9"
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby patybobady » Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:17 pm

no 14' poles? well i would say bring the standards in a little, like 10-15 centimeters. that or anothe rpole. moving up the pole will just mash it a little more...it wouldn't help that much more...maybe holding down a tad and pushing off the pole would help.
Fight the good fight: It's nice to be great but it's far greater to be nice.

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby bjvando » Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:04 pm

how is his Take off..?

that is the key aspect ( in my opinion), besides the run. I personally dont like moving the standards too much, only move them if totally necessary, its unsafe to move them too much.... make sure the take off is conistent and strong. That is where most of the penetration is in the jump....
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”