Approach run form.

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Re: Approach run form.

Unread postby dj » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:14 pm

good morning,

take a look at the start of the Approach run again....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA7Dapjsh9A

once the pole is positioned correctly.. the vaulter will accelerate each step to the "MID"… Petrov states that acceleration has "increment" value.. meaning that each step gets a little fast, little faster and a little faster to a point 6 steps from the take-off. By six steps from the take-off the vaulter has become a little more erect (the hips have "naturally" moved to the correct position from the "natural" acceleration), the pole has gradually dropped with the gradual acceleration, and from six steps to takeoff "the vaulter will increase the frequency while keeping the step lengths the same. Two steps from take-off the pole has passed horizontal to the ground and the top grip has reached the ear. A correct penultimate and an "out" take-off will assist the vaulter in the correct move on to support on the pole.

The first part of this vaulter's run was created carrying the pole on the track and performing numerous starts to the first 14 to 16 strides/steps.. approximately 30 meters. Over and over.. lift the pole into the correct position… accelerate for 30 meters.. natural acceleration "pushing" yourself down the track..

Every vaulter should do this as speed' work…

If your vaulter is "running on the heels" it is generally more than a technical problem.. it is more than likely a strength to mass ratio.... teach the vaulter to "push" down the track and not reach for stride length.. and see is he begins to run correctly…

dj

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:57 pm

Good Morning,

Six Step Numbers…

Those that have no desire to understand or muse a six step "MID" need not read any further… honestly..
Those that will never change from four to six… need not read any further.

I'm not posting this for "argument" so those need not read further…

This post is to explain that stretching is not a good thing in the approach run and that monitoring the sixth step is the ONLY way, other than chance, to monitor and correct.

Forward… to faster, higher and more fun…………….

I do know that a "MID" of 17.50m/57 feet @ 9.70mps for the men's world record is much, much more closely aligned to physics than a mark at 58 feet/17.80m @ 9.4mps. That a "MID" of 51 feet/15.60m @ 8.4mps is more aligned with physics than a "MID" of 16.00m/52 feet @ 8.1mps.

Over the last couple of years I'm finding more and more Approach Runs, men and women, that have "MIDS" far removed from the "physics".

My frustration is this, I continue to find "resistance" from even some of the world's best coaches that feel the "MID" has to be out 50 to 70cm from a sound, none stretched stride length. Resistance in even "comparing" the numbers with what they are doing now.

In addition to that I'm actually finding "excitement" and approval from the coaches to the athletes that the have numbers that are that far out, but the coach still complains;

from coach....

"he/she still stretched a little, posture was off a little over the last two steps, plant a little late, needed a little more pole speed, but man was that an almost great jump jump"!!!

World Class men's' numbers at 58 feet /17.80m are being reported AND supported, when logic (and the fact that the world's greatest pole vaulter set the long standing world record with a mark that could not have been outside 17.50… based on his last 2/4 stride data) tells us that the men vaulters that are jumping below the world record and that are hitting a mark over/out from 17.50/57'(43' 4 step mark) are stretching into the takeoff. I have observed 5.50 meter jumpers that feel there "MID" should be outside of 17.50 meters, stretch in practice and in meets and become frustrated that they can't "do it right", do what their coaches have been teaching them and have "hit a wall" with no improvement for the past 3 years.

Stretching the steps a lot or a little creates "under", none "free" takeoffs, late plants, poor posture, loss of speed, flat takeoffs.. forced loading of the pole, squashed poles, broken poles, low pole speed, injury, inconsistency, frustration from the vaulter, mental issues because I day, one jump they look like a world record holder and the next meet like a beginner. Mental issues because the "issue" because coach nor the athlete knows or accepts the point on the runway six steps from the takeoff can be "that" important.

On the women's side data shows that the women's world record was set with a six step mark of approximately 15.50m/50'8"/(38' 4 step mark).. while overseas for the past four years I saw women training with 16 meter "MIDS" and stretching into the takeoff..continue to struggle in practice… Occasionally they would "push" out of the back stronger, get their "mid" closer and have a good jump.. they usually had got a good pole bend, pole speed and penetration so they would "think", go to a bigger pole… again they didn't push out enough, hit "out" at the "mid' stretched, slow down, took off flat.. less pole speed, less penetration, unsafe jump.. etc.. get frustrated that they (and the coach agrees and blames the athlete) can't use the "bigger" pole or perform the same "good" jump they just had with the small pole!!! They did have some good success at meets because they would have adrenalin, more speed and a "MID" closer to the speed and grip.

I have stated the 'Numbers" before from the 2009 world championships.. good women's vaults came from "MIDS" of 15.30/15.60 or 50-51 feet sis step "MIDS" (37-4 to 38-4 four step "MID") and bad jumps came from "MIDS" 40 to 50cm out from those numbers!!! That is 14 to 18 inches at the 4 step "MID" or over 16 meters/52 feet. Even a world class jumper cannot get to a correct takeoff from a "MID" that far out.

Obviously some jumpers get ok jumps with "MIDS" that far out… we have seen it.. BUTT that is what has us fooled. We want to accept the "exception" because we don't know how or what to change!!

That is why the sixth step out needs to be used by everyone at all times as a correct monitor… the math "physics" is done and tested.. all you have to do is see if your athlete needs an adjustment and coach.

When you stretch you increase the 'ground"/support time, when you stretch the hips are "tilted" in the wrong direction.. when the hips are tilted wrong the posture is wrong, when you stretch the COM becomes low… when you stretch you have to move the pole a little more forward and back for balance. When the hips are out of position you have to "step up" and wait to push up until the hips pass vertical.. when you step under you "must" force bend the pole or the hips will get "sucked" under even more.

Why is it important to be "ON" six steps from the takeoff… just like it's important to have the correct "on" first step it's equally or more important to know six steps from the plant.

Reason why… First; if you are "on" six steps from the plant it becomes "easier" to continue to drop the pole and not interrupt the process by stretching if you are out, or chopping if you are in/under.

Second; all the scientist will tell you that an athlete, long jump or pole vault will "steer" or adjust 4 to 6 steps (IF they are off) from the takeoff. It is very important to be very close to "ON" from six so "IF" you have to steer it will be slight and hopefully "steering" will have little effect on the speed, posture, plant or takeoff.

Third; the "physics" of acceleration mandates that it be progressive. What you do on the first step "predicts" were you will be each successive step to the takeoff. Look at Tyson Gay in the Bolt 9.58 100 meter race. He was already "off" on the first step. He did make some adjustments but he continued to be "off" at 20, 30, 40, 50 meters and on to the finish. Tyson and His coach knows where he should be 10, 20, 30 , 40 meters from the start and I know they have trained "by the numbers"… In the sprint we know that to run 9.80sec. you need to be at 30.25 meters from the start… in the vault you need a six step mark 17.50m from the box to run 9.7mps and grip 5.18m,…… …but in the heat of battle.. Gay "short" stepped his start and got "behind". Without a pole in their hands long jumpers and sprinters have an outside chance to make adjustments, Maybe.. but with a pole and only 18/20 steps and 40m/ 42 meter Approach Run it is impossible to make an adjustment.. if you do you will lose speed and have to "compensate" in an event where speed is very important to grip, pole size and moving that grip and pole to vertical.

Maybe I created the stubbornness, the resistance by trying to explain (and being persistent) as to why stretching is a bad thing in any of the events that are speed based. Why a correct run has to follow the "physics".. The chart in itself "looks" like more than it is.. in base terms it is a check point… accurate.. more accurate than 4… why have a check mark "after" the speed has been lost, after the stretching has begun… after the focus should be on moving the pole up and taking off out.

Those with an open mind and a willingness to improve the run of your vaulters go to my website.. www.oneappraochrun.com and down load the chart. When you vaulter is jumping good compare the six step "MID"… do the same on bad jumps..

I think you will get the best run very quickly… plus you can train by running the correct approach run numbers n the track..

Just like long jumping… there is no reason not to have a perfect run before you go to competition… make slight adjustments because of adrenalin/wind .. the chart shows you how to adjust to more or less speed … or more or less grip…

Thanks
Good luck

dj

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Unread postby grandevaulter » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:31 pm

Thank you very much for this information. It is going to take some studying of the chart. You have done a great job explaining. Whether or not everyone agrees. Thanks again.

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”