Over involved Parents......

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:55 pm

swtvault wrote:There are a couple reasons why northern jumpers dont jump quite as high as southern jumpers. Obviously weather is a factor, but it is not a big issue. The main problem in my eyes is that jumpers up north tend to put the ceiling a whole lot lower than people in the south. In TX for instance 17 feet is it. Every jumper strives to clear 17, and that is where they set their sights. You will notice most of the top jumpers will hit that 17! Some will go higher, but a vast majority hit that threshold and feel happy with what they have done (I know there are always Skippers, Eshbachs, Most's and the like.) Here is the issue that I see up here. In HS, everyone has this mindset that 15 is a really great jump. All of their training, everything they do is geared towards 15. So they hit the ceiling and once again feel satisfied.GF

well thats so true up here.. my goal when i first started was to someday hit 14'. We had a guy jump that on my team when i was a frosh, and he jus dominated, never lose a meet his sr. season, including states. then i got on this site and realized 14' was nothing, and dropped that goal right away, because i want to be better than like top 300.. But ill tell ya now i want 17' as bad as any guy in tx or ca.. and yeah, i live in michigan. but first i got my goals set on swtvaults state record. ;)
What have you done today to get better?

swtvault
PV Pro
Expertise: Part time semi elite vaulter--5.35 season best in 2009
Lifetime Best: 5.52

Unread postby swtvault » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:11 am

Swtvault--I never thought of what you were talking about (the ceiling). That's EXACTLY what pretty much everyone in Wisconsin thinks. Our state record is only like 15'7 so people think that's unattainable and are just happy with getting 14' or so. Now I wish I could go back and change my mentality because I just wanted to make state (13'9)....

I think some people (notice I say some) need to be reminded of how many female vaulters there are over 14 feet! That should most definetely place that ceiling a little higher!
Retain faith that you will prevail in the end, regardless of the difficulties.

Stockdale Paradox

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”