Over involved Parents......

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Over involved Parents......

Unread postby bjvando » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:19 pm

Have any coaches out there had that 'one parent' that is WAY too involved with their kids athletics?? I have seen some dads that will force thier sons to practice, the kids will get their jog a lap ( that is more like a walk) "sort of" stretch, then run through about 20 times then call it a day.... Has anyone seen or been involved with anything like this..???

or have any athletes been that kid that was pushed..... I personally can not stand it when i see a parent PUSH their kid that much, it makes the kid hate what they are doing..... just curiuos on what everyone thinks about this..

BJV
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:49 pm

I've had some dads that come and try to essentially take over, :devil: b/c they vaulted 20 years ago and think they know it all.
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

vaultdad
PV Whiz
Expertise: An Official
Favorite Vaulter: Jillian Schwartz!

Unread postby vaultdad » Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:14 pm

You mean every kid isn't going to be an Olympian? As an official and a parent ,Sometimes I get very frustrated with parents who don't know the rules and then try to push their kids to be as good as they thought they were 20 years ago.

To this kind of "helpful" parent I respectfully request you sit down farther away from your kid, only shout out encouraging things, and let your kid be a kid for a while. They'll have more fun, and so will you. Maybe the younger athletes won't burn out and quit so early on.

and Lose the "Littlle League Mentality". It's their event, not yours. It'll make all sports and life in general a lot more fun. If it's not fun, then why do it?

End of Soapbox Entry . . . :P
Vaulting Incognito "I saw those tubes on your truck, and I thought you were a plumber . . ."

Ajint_Smith
PV Nerd

Unread postby Ajint_Smith » Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:39 pm

Quick question. I'm not a father or anything (and don't plan to be for a while), but I'm really obsessed with pole vault. I see that vaulters in general in Wisconsin can't really compete with those of Texas and Cali is because we all start at about 9th grade or later. If I were to have a child and there was youth pole vaulting available, would I be considered to be pushing him to do it? or would this only count if I wouldn't let him quit (which I wouldn't)?
The Matrix has you...

theflyingkorean
PV Follower

Unread postby theflyingkorean » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:05 pm

Yar, I started in 9th grade and live in Cali :idea:

Oh yeah, I love this sport becasue my parents don't know jack about it ;)
Last edited by theflyingkorean on Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crumpman
PV Beginner

Unread postby crumpman » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:06 pm

I'm a dad and coach, so I will tell you my approach. 1st, I was a distance runner but do a fair job coaching the vault...Chris Smith & John Russell are two of mine. Nice to see the college coaches fixing my mistakes. My wife works so I always took my kids with me to practice over spring breaks. The kids were exposed to track early and I would have them hold on to a pole while I lifted them into the pit. Then they would run and grab while I pulled the pole...they loved it. I still do this with my junior high kids. Both of my kids could not wait to get to junior high so they could vault. I did not push the event, which brings me to point 2) I always wanted to have great distance runners. I did not make nor do I make my kids run. My daughter ran in 7th grade and was so scared of finishing last that she finished 7th in her first race! Wow, where did that come from...I was excited...it was down hill from there. She decided she did not like CC so she did not run the next 2 years...she does now. I encouraged her, but it was HER decision. Most people think I make her run, as do her friends, we both think that is funny. My son is now in 7th grade he ran CC and is running track and vaulting...he loves it, but it is his decision. I treat my kids like any other kid on the team...but I probably cheer a bit louder for them. Let your kids decide for themselves...expose them to sport and enjoy the outcome. PS...they are both musicians and straight A (nearly) students, and they both like to fly fish, camp in the mountains and canoe the Boundary Waters...what could be better. Mom too!!![/i]
Crumpman
Run, jump and play like you mean it.

belmore
PV Pro

Unread postby belmore » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:12 pm

ajint smith, crumpman answered your question, I'm from texas and have had vaulters not pick up a pole until they were sophs and juniors and compete just fine. I think having a wide athletic experience helps in any sport, pole vaulting included. Starting young can be an advantage in some cases, but I believe just being a kid and enjoying what you're doing counts the most. If they're having fun, let'em jump!
compete and jump safe, have fun

1yeldud1
PV Pro

Unread postby 1yeldud1 » Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:48 am

Having had a daughter who is now playing college softball that has been involved in basketball, track and travel softball and an son who breaths eats and sleeps football, basketball and pole vault I would like to comment on over involved parents. I must admit I have been one of these parents. I have tried to support the activity that my childern have been involved in if possible. This has ranged from being a "bus driver" for mini vans full of kids to hauling anyone that wanted to attend t/f meets hours from home. I have "helped" coach, looked for community donations, kept score clocks, run gates, manned concession stands, striped football and softball fields, raked entire softball infields by myself and photographed almost every classmate that went thru sports with my children at no charge. The key that I have found is to approach the coach and ask if there is any thing that can be done to support the program. Some coaches are receptive to help and some are kind of "cool". A well "seasoned" coach will always find some kind of "project" for a helpfull parent to do weather it is directly invloved with the kids or thru some kind of a booster club activity. Being from a small town in mid America community involvement is essential to the success of kids sports programs.

swtvault
PV Pro
Expertise: Part time semi elite vaulter--5.35 season best in 2009
Lifetime Best: 5.52

Unread postby swtvault » Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:06 am

There are a couple reasons why northern jumpers dont jump quite as high as southern jumpers. Obviously weather is a factor, but it is not a big issue. The main problem in my eyes is that jumpers up north tend to put the ceiling a whole lot lower than people in the south. In TX for instance 17 feet is it. Every jumper strives to clear 17, and that is where they set their sights. You will notice most of the top jumpers will hit that 17! Some will go higher, but a vast majority hit that threshold and feel happy with what they have done (I know there are always Skippers, Eshbachs, Most's and the like.) Here is the issue that I see up here. In HS, everyone has this mindset that 15 is a really great jump. All of their training, everything they do is geared towards 15. So they hit the ceiling and once again feel satisfied. Don't get me wrong, there are talented people up here that could and should jump high, but they have already defeated themselves by placing that mental ceiling so low. EGO ALERT: For me I ignored what people said, I set the ceiling where the TX, and CA guys did so I could beat them! I never did make 17 in HS, so maybe I am guilty in one sense. The point of all this is, just because 15 was #1 in the state last year, don't obsess with that height, destroy it and move on. My old Coach Erich Momberger used to tell me that our goal was to reach the moon, but we need to have enough firepower to make it all the way to Mars. Set goals along the way, but strive to go as far as you can. END OF MOTIVATIONAL SPEECH.

GF
Retain faith that you will prevail in the end, regardless of the difficulties.

Stockdale Paradox

keulpv
PV Fan

Unread postby keulpv » Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:01 pm

Tru Dat Geoff,
When I was growing up (in TX) we did strive for 15 ft... as our opening height. Having the mindset that any height is a ceiling is only creating a mental barrier. One of the things that Greg always preaches to high school and college kids is, "dont be a big fish in a small pond". If 15 feet is good for your state or your region- thats great that you can jump that high, but there are a lot more people that can jump higher. There is only one man alive who can walk around like a cocky badass, and you can find him on the streets of Monaco.

Sincerely-
Geoffs daddy

swtvault
PV Pro
Expertise: Part time semi elite vaulter--5.35 season best in 2009
Lifetime Best: 5.52

Unread postby swtvault » Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:04 pm

There is only one man alive who can walk around like a cocky badass, and you can find him on the streets of Monaco.

Let the record state that his man is no other than Sergey Bubka. The man the myth, the legend.
Retain faith that you will prevail in the end, regardless of the difficulties.

Stockdale Paradox

Ajint_Smith
PV Nerd

Unread postby Ajint_Smith » Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:51 pm

Thanks to you guys for your insight. I have a better general idea on how i'll approach the topic whenever it comes.

Swtvault--I never thought of what you were talking about (the ceiling). That's EXACTLY what pretty much everyone in Wisconsin thinks. Our state record is only like 15'7 so people think that's unattainable and are just happy with getting 14' or so. Now I wish I could go back and change my mentality because I just wanted to make state (13'9)....

thanks a lot tho
Nick
The Matrix has you...

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”