Curiousity Question

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Curiousity Question

Unread postby AVC Coach » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:27 am

I know there's a lot of coaches on this forum and I want to pose a question to all of you. All of us have have an opinion on one part or phase of the vault we feel is most important to master in order to have a chance at success. I ask this same question to new kids that show up at our facility.... What do you think is the most important thing to learn in the vault that's going to help you jump high? I get several various responses from them and I am curious to see what kind of response I get from you.

I look forward to reading everyone's opinions!

Branko720
PV Whiz
Expertise: Club Coach

Re: Curiousity Question

Unread postby Branko720 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:09 am

It's funny but even with my more experienced and skilled vaulters I will work on other phases, like the turn, but it always goes back to take off. Obviously you need a good run to get the take off, but the take off is critical. You can't swing or do anything else too well if the take off is wrong.

Decamouse
PV Great
Expertise: Masters vaulter, coach, USATF Official
Favorite Vaulter: Kate Dennison

Unread postby Decamouse » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:59 am

Just like HJ, LJ -- takeoff is critical -- being in the right position and place - which gets catch 22 - egg chicken thing going -- got to have have a good approach to get to right place in the right position -
Plant like crap sometimes ok most times

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:23 am

hye deca,

through on note in the advanced thread...

of course the takeoff is key... somewhere someone said "great vaulters are made at/in the plant"... before i heard it that way i heard that if you can't master the plant in the pole vault.. change events... now before you waste more time..

But of course the run has to be accurate and technically correct for posture and speed.

it does start with the first step.. same in the long jump, same in the high jump, and hurdles and 100m.. etc.. and the throws..

in the throws the "power" position is key... you can't get in the power position, with speed if you fail to start and "push off" correctly..

dj

pistolpete6994
PV Nerd
Expertise: Once a Collegiate Vaulter- Now HS Coach

Unread postby pistolpete6994 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:19 pm

An easy answer, takeoff. It sets the stage for every action to follow. Whether you coach your athletes as swingers, shooters, or somewhere in between- if they don't hit the takeoff the rest just won't happen the way it is suppose to happen.
(I do understand the idea of the approach being first and therefore more important- but I have seen some lousy approach runs that can turn themselves into a great takeoff... and vice versa)
To the moon!

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Unread postby tsorenson » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:06 am

The drop/plant is the most important aspect of the vault. It requires the most work to master, is the most coachable phase, and sets up the proper takeoff that everyone was mentioning.

Without a dialed plant, you can't achieve a good takeoff. Everyone can run, it's the plant that's hard.

Tom

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:00 pm

So, that's it? Run and Plant?

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:37 pm

good morning,

bottom line.. for me..

"Forcing" the vaulter to NEVER takeoff "under" or "out" more than 10cm/4" on any/every vault.

When i have placed the most emphases on a takeoff point, or forced the athlete to "think" that he or she must be 10cm/4" forward or back of a point vertical to the top plant hand "extended", I have gotten the best and most wide spread results.

This in its "cleanest" form is what I have felt Petrov (and Alan) have called a free takeoff.

This has seemed to give everyone a "Q" point that allows them to "clean up" any and everything else leading up to and after the takeoff.

If they are reaching "under" by more than 4" they/we realize that they must either move the step forward and/or "cut" the strides properly..

If they are cutting the strides and running themselves "under" they/coach will feel/see the correct adjustment and move the step back or "cut "the last 4/5 steps more.

With this "thought" as .....the "pivot" point of the technique, it (because of physics) allows for a more positive outcome even when the plant arm isn't all the way up.. even when the speed is slightly down, even when there is less or no impulse.

In summary.. the run gives you the "physics" to jump to your potential.. the accuracy and impulse of the takeoff allows you to use that "physics"….

Correct single answer..

Takeoff-accuracy……….

dj

Tom Wilson
PV Fan
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach, Fan, Masters Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.65
Favorite Vaulter: any and all vaulters

Unread postby Tom Wilson » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:06 pm

Hi dj,

Run and takeoff, however none of the HS vaulters ever truly think that is true until a couple years into vaulting, if then. I always felt like I knew whether I'd make a bar (with pretty good accuracy) before I was off the ground. Still feel that way, if all is on and bar is reasonable height for this old guy, I know if I have a chance or not before I've left the ground.

Funny thing about step is I recall talking with my coach way back in 79 that my best jumps always came if I took off just before the pole hit the back of the box. It is still true today when I jump at 29 yrs old, well actually 50+.

Take care dj,

Tom W

baggettpv
PV Master

Unread postby baggettpv » Tue May 03, 2011 1:31 am

The very first step is the most important. When everything starts perfectly the chance success is better.

Rick Baggett
WSTC
Good coaching is good teaching.

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Sat May 21, 2011 10:24 am

The first thing in the sequence of events that they do incorrectly is the most important aspect for that vaulter.
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”