Picking Athletes

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Picking Athletes

Unread postby VaultPurple » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:03 pm

What kind of athletes do you look for when coaching high school pole vaulters.

Do you just say hey, who wants to pole vault, and then who ever shows up over at the pit you try and teach them, or does anybody go and try to talk to best athletes into vaulting. I know at a lot of schools pole vaulters end up just being the left overs.

Right now I am working with a school that has never had pole vaulting and is starting it now. The team as a whole though is mainly made up of sprinters and usually has a 4x1 that can contend for the state champion ship. My question is, should I try and convince the sprinters to vault, and if you have tried this before, how much success have you had converting a high level sprinter into a pole vaulter.

Right now I have one really good sprinter who said he would try. He is a junior who is only about 5'8 but he has ran 6.31 so far this year in the 55 (hand timed, but he has gone under 6.4 in every race this year).

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Picking Athletes

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:52 pm

Recruiting is good, but don't waste too much time and energy on a kid that doesn't want to do it. They have to have a certain level of desire to succeed.

I'd go after the sprinters that can long jump or hurdle well.

Andy_C
PV Pro

Unread postby Andy_C » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:43 am

On a slightly-different side of things. Pole vault will require more patience and persistence than most sports for the vast majority of kids out there who aren't super freaks. Sometimes you will have a very good and committed vaulter from somebody with sheer willpower.

Psychologically speaking, it's often difficult to garner the interest of an extremely successful kid because they've already experienced the "highs" of being very successful by barely trying. On the other hand, there are kids who place on the podium or close who show talent and promise but still have a fire burning because they haven't won a gold medal or any medal yet. The "lucky positions" so to speak would most likely be #3 and #4 - especially at a big meet. If there is a lot of emotion, there is a lot of potential. It's all a matter of knowing how to cultivate and harness it. It will be easier with some than with others so you may have to be quite patient and understanding.

Maybe the kid won't turn out to be the best (or maybe they will!). But having that kind of personality around will really help motivate other kids and you may very well have yourself an inspiring team captain/leader!

-Andrew
Hard work is wasted energy if you don't work wisely!

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:20 pm

Yeah, right now I just want someone that is willing to work and try hard to improve because it is a new program. This place is kind of a talent hot spot, so thats not that big of a problem, I'm pretty sure every guy on this team could jump over 13 their first year. The most interesting thing I have found about the guys here is that the top guys trained all summer long and walked an hour each way to the track because they didn't have a ride, I don't think there are very many high schoolers with that much dedication out there.

Barefoot
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 15'

Unread postby Barefoot » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:08 am

I think in the beginning it really has to be teach whoever shows up. In the world of single sport athletes, most great athletes have already chosen their "one" sport and its a push to get them thinking outside the box. The important thing in the first year is that you have "somebody" to coach. And you never know how they might pan out... the worst freshman might be pretty good by the end of their sophomore year.

That said... Girl Gymnasts are often "done" by age 15 or 16 and make very good vaulters, especially if they go too tall. Kids who are burnt out with their one sport they have been playing since they are toddlers also make decent vaulters... look for the soccer players who have gone year round since they were six years old and are ready for a change. And don't rule out the semi athletic smart kids... the vault usually requires some scholarship. Another type of athlete you can snare is dancers... trust me, if the girl has done years of ballet and jazz, she knows where her body is in space. I'm still waiting on the right X-game style kid... skiers, boarders etc... could work.

If you manage to get one charismatic kid who can bring friends along, chances are you will have a decent vaulter somewhere in the mix... and you can build from there. If your kids are having a great time and meeting with some success, it won't be long before you might consider picking and choosing, but in the beginning its hard to be too selective... pole vaulting is not usually on the radar of the the "very good" athletes as they are already spoken for.

Best of luck!

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”