coaches/teachers

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

dheldr01
PV Nerd
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

coaches/teachers

Unread postby dheldr01 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:34 pm

How many coaches here are also teachers. I have my teaching degree for 6th through 12th grade for english and history

Do you feel the training in education helps coaching capabilities?

Andy_C
PV Pro

Re: coaches/teachers

Unread postby Andy_C » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:12 pm

Most definitely!

While I'm no teacher, nor will I ever be as good at teaching as actual teachers, I have been exposed to the field a bit as well as the basics of Learning Theory.

I can say that there is a lot of very useful insight that can be used for coaching especially when it comes to communicating to athletes, developing/organizing session plans and "mass coordination" of large groups. Personally, I think the ability to handle large groups makes a big difference. While you don't have to be a teacher to be very good at doing big groups, teachers that handle classrooms well get a big one-up from their experience. I'm much more of a very 'personal' coach and I do my best work either one-on-one or in a very small group. The ability to seamlessly coach and coordinate large groups is something I really admire in teachers!

I would say that teachers have a tremendously under-appreciated "edge" over all other backgrounds when it comes to coaching. Some of the best coaches I know (T&F as well as other sports) have a teaching/education background.

I've actually taken it upon myself to do some personal study about Learning Theory for coaching as well as personal interest.

-Andrew
Hard work is wasted energy if you don't work wisely!

baggettpv
PV Master

Unread postby baggettpv » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:18 am

Coaching is teaching. The better skills as a teacher then the better coach. Just make sure you are using the right curriculum!

Rick Baggett
WSTC
Good coaching is good teaching.

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:25 am

I'm certified P-12 and teach Health and P.E. on the middle school level. I coach 7-12 grade track. Just finished my 9th year working for the public school system. The most valuable skill that I've developed from teaching this age group is the ability to be more patient and to find multiple ways to get my point across and also various ways to motivate my students/athletes.

I think having a teaching background offers more experiences to relate to when trying to develop athletes, but I don't think it should be a requirement. I have a good friend that's actually my coaching partner here at AVC that's not a teacher by profession, but I don't know anyone personally that does as good a job with developing vaulters as he does.

jeffschu
PV Beginner
Expertise: High school Coach

Unread postby jeffschu » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:47 am

I have 5 years in the bank....coach 7th -12th teach PE grades 3-6 every kid gets PE 2 times a week and I am look for that next good vaulter that I can coach up.

pistolpete6994
PV Nerd
Expertise: Once a Collegiate Vaulter- Now HS Coach

Unread postby pistolpete6994 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:15 pm

I teach and coach as well... I teach special education in my district. I have found that my education background has helped me tremendously, especially having an understanding of "differentiation". Yes- its an education term but is crucial to this event- finding just the right way to describe a feeling or action so that athletes can comprehend and execute. Everyone learns differently...
To the moon!

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:06 am

Now watch the fur fly!
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

CowtownPV
PV Follower
Expertise: HS coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bob

Unread postby CowtownPV » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:21 am

This is my 29th year as a teacher/coach. I coach football and track and teach economics. My teaching asignments have changed over the years, history, business classes, health and government but I have always been a full time teacher and coach. I think I coach in the classroom some and teach in sports. The two are really the same. Just different materials and some different methods.
Winners find a way to win, losers find an excuse.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:14 pm

hey

Knowledge

Tools

Skills

Experience...

progressive overload and SAID... Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demands..

dj

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”