I've been beating my self up on this

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

I've been beating my self up on this

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Sat May 22, 2010 2:49 am

At our district meet the top four girls advance to state or 10'7" auto qualifier after 9'6" I there were 5 girls left and three of them are on my team. Two seniors and one freshman all of them are jumping great. The seniors PR's are 11' the freshman's 10'. I pass them all to 10' seniors make it first attempt freshman on 2nd. So at his point my two senoirs are tied with another girl for the lead with no misses. The two girls from the other schools pass 10'3". I my heart of hearts I'm thinking I should pass all of my girls to 10'7" If none of them clear it the two seniors advance. but it's not the best choice for the freshman. So I have them all jump 10'3 freshman jumps last in the rotation both seniors blow through their poles and freshman clears it first attempt. Now I'm like crap because I did not have a pole to move the one girl up to and the other girl is getting worried. I'm half thinking about passing them because it does them no good to clear this height now. but I let them jump it. I end up having them finish jumping at 10'3" and they both don't clear it. Now they go to 10'6" and we wait to see if the 2 girls that passed 10'3" make it.... and they do. now they have to have a jump off for the fourth qualifying spot. So they have to lower the bar to 10'3" (which we were trying to decide if it is legal to even do) and have them take their 4th attempt at it. They miss and it's back down to 10'. Niether of them want to jump and beat the other. The one girl has worked so hard this year and prd by a foot. She has never made it to state even though she has always been in the top 10 and to top it off it's her birthday. The other girl wins the jump off....... immediately starts crying b/c she beat her teammate who has never made it to state. They both go over to each other and are embracing each other sobing and my freshman comes over and doesn't even realize she made it to state and what just happened and now she feels bad for beating them.

I never have felt so bad for qualifying two girls far state and placing four in the meet and wonder if I should have done things different. I know I probably did the right thing but I feel like I had to choose between my children.
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

baggettpv
PV Master

Re: I've been beating my self up on this

Unread postby baggettpv » Sat May 22, 2010 2:58 am

Welcome to the world of coaching...

Rick Baggett
WSTC
Good coaching is good teaching.

Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Barto » Sat May 22, 2010 12:28 pm

You make the best choice possible at the time and never look back.
Facts, Not Fiction

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat May 22, 2010 7:27 pm

Yesterday, my girl finished HJing not knowing what place she was. It was cold, rainy and miserable, so she had not jumped well, but she knew that most of the other girls had not jumped well either. There were one or two girls left, but they had left for other events, so nothing was happening in the HJ. I asked the HJ official to see his sheet so I could figure out what place my girl was. He shows me the sheet, but it's only for the higher heights, because the hy-tek operator couldn't figure out how to print in landscape format. He had already taken the sheet with my girl's jumps up to the booth. He says that he thinks she got 3rd. Top 3 go to State.

Then he proceeds to tell me the makes and misses, and it sounded like my girl and a girl from another school tied and needed to jump-off. I could let it go and see what happens, and see if the other coach protests, or I could get it straightened out NOW so that we can deal with it sooner. I choose the latter. Much confusion later, it turns out they failed on about 5 different levels at breaking the tie, but the bottom line was that my girl was 4th and not going to state.

I now kind of wish I hadn't said anything, but I guess I am obsessed with fairness...

chasing6
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former Collegiate Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, Coach (all-levels), Die-Hard Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.23m

Unread postby chasing6 » Sun May 23, 2010 1:04 am

Barto wrote:You make the best choice possible at the time and never look back.

I agree w/ Barto. Although it's unfortunate that she didn't make it to state, rest easy knowing that you have not only coached the two seniors to be great vaulters but also to be great PEOPLE. Really, that's why we coach young people. There's something to be said about a vaulter who cries because she has just beaten her friend and kept her from going to state. That's what being friends, teammates and vaulters is all about. :yes:

Congrats on a great season, and good luck at state. I'm looking forward to working with your girls (and guys) in our program this summer and beyond.
Whether you believe you can or cannot, you're right.

http://www.fiveringsproject.org

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Sun May 23, 2010 1:46 am

thanks, Scott
you have not only coached the two seniors to be great vaulters but also to be great PEOPLE.
That's what makes it so hard to watch :crying:

Bye the way Do you have anyone going to nationals that is using a 13' 150 and 155. Dick said we could borrow them if Western is not using them. Bri is blowing through a 13'145 pacer we borrowed from Blaine pretty consistantly.

chasing6
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former Collegiate Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, Coach (all-levels), Die-Hard Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.23m

Unread postby chasing6 » Sun May 23, 2010 6:59 pm

Robert schmitt wrote:thanks, Scott

Bye the way Do you have anyone going to nationals that is using a 13' 150 and 155. Dick said we could borrow them if Western is not using them.

None of the ladies made it unfortunately, and I think Ryan will leave those ones home. ;) Dick is leaving Tues morning for NC, and I think he'll be in the office sometime Mon morning so I can talk to him. I'm assuming you'll want them ASAP so you can get some practices in, so let me know when you want to pick them up.

BTW, did he mention the carbons or the regular glass ones? Not sure which you'll want/need and which ones he wants to loan out. The carbons are his babies after all.
Whether you believe you can or cannot, you're right.

http://www.fiveringsproject.org

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Tue May 25, 2010 11:51 am

I'll be up tonight to pick them up.

patybobady
PV Pro
Expertise: High School Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'9"
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby patybobady » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:15 pm

Robert schmitt wrote:The other girl wins the jump off....... immediately starts crying b/c she beat her teammate who has never made it to state. They both go over to each other and are embracing each other sobing and my freshman comes over and doesn't even realize she made it to state and what just happened and now she feels bad for beating them.

I never have felt so bad for qualifying two girls far state and placing four in the meet and wonder if I should have done things different. I know I probably did the right thing but I feel like I had to choose between my children.

Amen. Like Becca, Barto, and Chasing6 mentioned/alluded to: You did the best you could. Also - a blow through by both at 10'3 would have most likely a blow through by both at 10'6 too.

I know I am probably going too in depth on this BUT...it got me thinking about coaching and decision making. After reading your story, then Becca's, and countless others, I felt like you and Becca did what you could and felt was right. What happens happens. You have to do the right thing at the end of the day...

In our state, IL, top 2 at Sectionals qualify for state and anyone who meets the height standard set by the state automatically goes too. In my experience at the Sectional meets, if there are ties for 2nd (in pv/hj even after the 'normal' tie breakers), they take both/as many that tied. They do not have a 2nd place (final state qualifier) jump off for the 2nd spot. I have seen this a lot over the years (which shouldn't happen), and this year and last year I have been fortunate enough to have two vaulters qualify each year. After last year, I wondered if three vaulters remained and my two guys were behind the leader but were tied with each other, and they weren't going to catch the leader, would/should I have them stop jumping, tie, and advance to state together, or have them keep jumping and 'may the best jumper go'... I luckily avoided that situation (we fortunately went 1-2 both years), but it made me think about what I should/would do.

I know when the time comes, I will know what to do because I have had the unique privilege of having coaches and positive influences in my life show me that honesty, integrity, and doing the right thing is what matters in life, regardless of how much it hurts at the time for me as a coach.

Doing the honest/ethical thing shows your athletes the right way to go through life, with integrity and morals. Whether it is next month, year, at their job, or in their personal/social lives, they have been shown a true example of that by you and they experienced it in a difficult situation. However, life is full of difficult situations and some people choose the easy road, even if they know it is the wrong thing to do. Very few people choose the difficult and painful road, even though it is the right one. That is a life lesson that will stay with them longer and help them more in life than qualifying for state. It will mean more to them too I bet. That's why I got into coaching, PR's and medals are just bonuses...

Sorry for the rant - teachers being off for the summer = crazy free time
Fight the good fight: It's nice to be great but it's far greater to be nice.

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”