Private Facilities

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

baggettpv
PV Master

Private Facilities

Unread postby baggettpv » Mon May 10, 2010 12:08 am

To all you guys/gals that have your own indoor facility. Can we start our own topic to exchange ideas on the business we are in. I just brought in one batting cage to be used during non-vault times. Amazingly in 3 months it's brought in a substantial amount of money. Also doing speed training, core training and some boxing to offset the overhead.
You guys doing anything else?

Rick Baggett
Good coaching is good teaching.

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Re: Private Facilities

Unread postby vaultmd » Mon May 10, 2010 2:01 am

I never had an indoor place, but I always fantasized about running a western night club in the evenings to pay the bills.

baggettpv
PV Master

Unread postby baggettpv » Mon May 10, 2010 2:23 am

Wilson,
Shut up hahahahha

Barto
PV Great

Unread postby Barto » Mon May 10, 2010 9:35 am

Currently we are not set up to do anything but pole vault, but phase 2 is going to have a 60m straight for speed development camps and private coaching in other events (LJ, TJ, HJ, Shot, Hurdles).
Facts, Not Fiction

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Mon May 10, 2010 10:02 am

We're also only set up for the pole vault. Since I teach school and coach football and track at my school, I don't really have enough free time to do much else with it. I thought about renting it out for reunions and parties, but too much stuff to move and protect. I like the batting cage idea though. We're in a remote location, but there are several baseball and softball enthusiasts in the surrounding areas. I might have to check into that. :yes:

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Unread postby tsorenson » Mon May 10, 2010 1:25 pm

Hey Rick,
The facility we used last winter is owned by the Bend Elks baseball team, and the owner fills the place with a number of activities, primarily baseball. In addition to letting the PV and high jumpers use it in the winter (with a raised runway), they also lease the space to Bend parks & rec. for youth soccer and baseball, youth dances, and they do several "boot camps" for women. He also has a retail baseball store set up next to his office.

With all your training equipment the "boot camp" thing might be a good idea, just expanding your user group to people wanting to get in shape. Another idea is to build an indoor rock climbing area...it is expensive initially but the rock gyms in the valley seem to do ok because of all the rainy weather.

Tom

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon May 10, 2010 1:55 pm

tsorenson wrote:Hey Rick,
The facility we used last winter is owned by the Bend Elks baseball team, and the owner fills the place with a number of activities, primarily baseball. In addition to letting the PV and high jumpers use it in the winter (with a raised runway), they also lease the space to Bend parks & rec. for youth soccer and baseball, youth dances, and they do several "boot camps" for women. He also has a retail baseball store set up next to his office.

With all your training equipment the "boot camp" thing might be a good idea, just expanding your user group to people wanting to get in shape. Another idea is to build an indoor rock climbing area...it is expensive initially but the rock gyms in the valley seem to do ok because of all the rainy weather.

Tom

Yeah you should make the small wall by the Port-A-Potty a rock climbing wall. That would be good for the vaulters and for bringing in extra money. :yes:

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Mon May 10, 2010 10:56 pm

tsorenson wrote: ... Another idea is to build an indoor rock climbing area...it is expensive initially but the rock gyms in the valley seem to do ok because of all the rainy weather.

This need not be expensive if you partner with someone that already has a mobile rock wall. :idea:

If you've never heard of this, it's a rock wall on the back of a truck, that raises to a vertical wall with hydraulics.

They're popular at outdoor events (fairs, carnivals, grand-openings, civic celebrations ...), as something that kids (anybody, actually) can try.

So what do these trucks do on rainy days and in winter? Probably sit idle. Seems to me if you can drive the truck into your building, you're ready to go! :idea:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

indestructo
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Former College Coach, Current High School Coach, Post-Collegiate Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'6"

Unread postby indestructo » Tue May 11, 2010 10:56 am

Is there enough money in owning a small multi-use facility to be a primary source of income?? I'm looking into getting something set up here, and wouldn't mind any insight. Ideally, I would like to replace my day job with this, but we'll see...
"Heart"

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Unread postby tsorenson » Tue May 11, 2010 12:51 pm

Kirk,
Nice idea, but those portable rock walls are lame for anyone except beginners. The best bet would be to build an overhanging area wrapped around a corner, so as not to take away from floor space. The wall could either be tall with top-rope anchors or shorter for just bouldering. The framing can be done with either steel or wood (both expensive) and the front panels can be plywood or molded synthetic rock (Entreprises, inc makes these here in Bend) with interchangable holds. The holds are also expensive...but they last forever once you get them. I have built several indoor home rock walls, and you have to build in lots of features to keep it interesting.
The local rock gym in my town charges $12 per day to climb, and also rents equipment and does lots of youth programs and beginner lessons. Probably not too practical to add to an existing PV facility like Rick's, but might be a good plan for someone who is building a new facility and can incorporate it into their business plan initially.
Rick, if you ever do want to build one let Jesse and I know and we'd be happy to help. We work for beer...
Tom

baggettpv
PV Master

Unread postby baggettpv » Wed May 12, 2010 1:59 am

Tom.
Been thinking about it for awhile. I think horizontal would be good and wood frame would be easy. I appreciate you offer. Hahaha, yes we can do beer.

Rick

Barto
PV Great

Unread postby Barto » Wed May 12, 2010 7:54 am

indestructo wrote:Is there enough money in owning a small multi-use facility to be a primary source of income?? I'm looking into getting something set up here, and wouldn't mind any insight. Ideally, I would like to replace my day job with this, but we'll see...

It all depends upon your definition of "enough money". I can make it work, but it involves Ramen Noodles.
Facts, Not Fiction

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”