Potential superstar vaulter

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

altius
PV Rock Star

Potential superstar vaulter

Unread postby altius » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:04 pm

Last July I put up information about a young athlete with enormous potential, Angy Rummans - I went out on a limb and suggested that in the right environment with the right coach she could eventually break the US record. She has just jumped 12'1" in her first ever high school meet so progress is being made. However as far as I know she has not had a rush of scholarship offers. I would suggests that anyone in the East/South East who still has openings should get on the phone immediately. This girl has the potential to make any coaches reputation -that I can assure you. She also has a very canny mom!!
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Potential superstar vaulter

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:21 pm

It's not a reasonable expectation that the scholarship offers would come pouring in in her situation. Colleges have already given away a lot of their money, and they are going to be conservative about their offers at this point.

She needs to present reasons why she deserves a scholarship (and maybe she has directly to colleges, but if you want the rest of us to fawn over her, it's gotta be online too)... I would suggest to start with:

Video of her 12'1 jump
Stats: Height, Weight, Pole, Grip, etc.

I think she is new to track, but it would help her if she did other events during the season, to give coaches an idea of her raw ability level. 100 meter dash, long jump, etc.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:22 am

"if you want the rest of us to fawn over her". Very disappointed in that comment Becca -i thought you at least might be might be prepared to trust my judgement and be pleased that a new talent may have emerged. Is there a hint of jealousy there?? . Real talent is rare but I think I have the knowledge and experience to be able to recognise it when I see it - Of course as you would or should know, the stats you are asking for are irrelevant with a talented beginner who will be changing poles and grip almost jump to jump. Oh and what contribution would looking at film of her make to the discussion at the present time -would it enable you to either support or disagree with my contention. I have not seen her vault - or any film of her vaulting - since last July - have not even spoken with her - but I still trust my judgement. But the great thing is that the proof will be in the pudding - let us wait to see what happens.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:06 am

I have nothing to be jealous of, I am more than content with my lot in life. But your expectation that college coaches should be beating down her door based on your word and one meet result is absurd.

I do put great respect in your judgement, so I am curious what you are basing your opinion on. I saw this girl's gymnastics video, and she didn't look like a midget, but she didn't look like a Jenn Stuczynski either. Obviously she picked things up quickly at your camp, and probably has a very solid technical foundation, but those things alone don't turn someone into a 16 footer.

If you don't want to share why you think she's going to be great, that's fine, but don't expect anyone to take you seriously until they see some evidence to support your statements.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:49 am

"don't expect anyone to take you seriously". No - Why would I expect anyone to take me seriously?? The fact that I have worked successfully with youngsters in this age group for fifty years across many events and coached girls of all levels of ability in the vault from 86 to 2004. Been around a world record holder in Emma George as she trained and an Olympic silver medallist like Tatiana for two years as I watched her learn to jump? Indeed what would I know about it? But I am learning a lot from this experience. Enough is enough.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:38 pm

hye

if she deserves or earns a serious look she will get it....

dj

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:29 am

Alan, I have all the confidence in the world that you can spot talent. For everybody, I would suggest rather than getting in a spitting match about any potential super star we instead present avenues for these athletes to get a look at by college coaches. It's called "planting the seed". I've got two boys that aren't college material yet but if they keep going the way they are, they will be. What am I doing? Any chance I get to tell a college coach about their potential I do. It's as simple as picking a University or college, go to their website, find the track and field team and the vault or jump coaches and drop them an e-mail. I've done this once already with a major track college for one of my guys. The coach got back to me with what he would like to see. If the boy and I can get there, we already have a foot in the door. Just a thought.
Mike

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby bjvando » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:44 am

Well done Souleman!

That is the way to get your athlete into college. There are plenty of 'seeds' out there that need nurture (coaching) to develop and blossom into a great competitive, collegiate vaulter, but not every 'seed' is going to get the opportunity. Each high school or jr. college athlete needs to be 'sold' the right way. And it appears as souleman has a great understanding of it.

I'm fortunate enough to coach high school athletes in a USATF club, and I coach at the NCAA D1 level so I am on both ends of this spectrum. I would like to think that my word as a D1 coach would suffice, but that is not reasonable for me to think so. I have to 'sell' my prospective recruits to colleges the best way I can.
1. know the facts about your athlete (academics, financial situation, worth-ethic, mid-marks, strength, poles/grip, etc...)
2. be honest when 'selling' (your credibility is ALWAYS on the line)
3. show video proof. (we've all heard about the bungee world records, show the proof!)
4. make sure the athlete is doing their end of the work. (lots of paperwork to take care of)

As far as a 12-01 girl getting scholarships thrown at her for a good vault and potential..? That is a very respectable mark at that age, but lets remember that there were 10+girls over 13-11 at indoor nationals this year. Big time programs pay for national points in the vault. Even if this girl PR's by 2 ft. she is still, just 'in the mix' (although that would be brilliant for a freshman!)

I kind of went off on a tangent here, but I hope some high school coaches are able to understand where a college coach is coming from. (I'm assuming there are tons of other posts regarding this exact same issue... i'm just too lazy to go look them up :P )

If Altius feels that strongly about this girl recruit, I'm sure he will do the right thing and start utilizing his many, many contacts instead of just pvp (although pvp is a great place to start)

Hope this post finds you well!
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:07 am

All good advice - I just have never been sure whether college coaches were interested in potential or just happy to get an athlete they are pretty sure will get points in their conference -or the NCAAs - for the next four years.. Anyway second HS comp 12'6" last week . Remember that she touched a pole for the first time last july. Rapid initial progress is a key indicator in talent ID -as is determination to succeed . after 12 years as a gymnast she certainly has the latter. But we will see. Love to all. :rose:

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”