How many jump sessions per week?

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

How many jump sessions per week?

Unread postby souleman » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:57 am

Hey Gang, Got a question for you. As it is usually the case with me, I'll write the lengthy set up before the question. The high school season is upon us and the kids will be jumping at their normal practices. I will also have my club meet once a week during the season. I do coordinate with the coaches at the high schools where my kids attend. It's a great relationship. At club we do a lot of short run technique jumping. All though it's not full blown full out vaulting we still get off the ground a lot. Do I (and the coaches) consider this a jump day? If so, how many jump days during the week do you feel is enough or too many. In my head, and for planning, I consider a meet day as a jump day. That being said, if the common practice amongst you is 3 jump days a week and the team has two meets during that week, then my Sunday is the jump day for the week. Correct? I'm really looking forward to the discussion on this topic................Later.......................Mike

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: How many jump sessions per week?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:59 pm

Yes, a lot of short run vaulting counts as a jump day.

You gotta listen to their bodies. If things hurt or they look flat, then they are probably jumping too much. Some kids can handle more than others. You also gotta look at how many jumps they take in a meet. If they didn't get too many warmup jumps, and NH or go out early, then it might not really affect them much, but if between warmups and the meet they get 20 jumps in, their body is probably going to say it counts and they might need a day off.

CowtownPV
PV Follower
Expertise: HS coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bob

Re: How many jump sessions per week?

Unread postby CowtownPV » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:41 pm

Our season in Texas is so short for high schoolers who don't do summer track that I almost don't think we can jump too much. I do try to pay attention to their bodies and what is going on but normally we jump at least one day from a full run plus the meet. We do short run jumps, drills, 50'or less run stiff pole comps,pole runs, etc on the other days. All of my guys this year also ran a event so they do a sprinters workout in the morning and jump in the evening. They also all got a lifting workout during the day since they were all in off-season FB. Sounds like alot but with carefull monitoring they can handle it.
Winners find a way to win, losers find an excuse.

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”