How do you get the schools to OK a club at their facility?

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

How do you get the schools to OK a club at their facility?

Unread postby souleman » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:32 pm

Hi gang! I need some input here. A while back I was talking to the head coach at the high school that is closest to me. I just threw out there, "Hey, ya know what we should do? We should register the schools field house as a practice facility for my vault club. That way we could jump during the winter and the facility would fall under my USATF umbrella policy". (Something to that fact anyway). Although it was a "throw away" conversation, he replied that that would be very cool. So here's my question. How do you present it to the school administration (or whoever it is that would OK it and sign the USATF club application). What buzz words and points do you make to have them comfortable with the idea? I'd also be interested with what financial arrangements do those of you that use a school facility have with the schools. I'm really looking for your advice on this. Thanks in advance......................Mike

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Re: How do you get the schools to OK a club at their facility?

Unread postby vaultmd » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:28 pm

Point out what's in it for them - they get to use your really expensive pit for free and their athletes get to use your club's really expensive poles. Point out that as vaulters outgrow their personal poles and go on to college that the parents have a habit of donating the poles to the club or the school. It would also insure that the vaulters get consistent coaching and that when track season starts that their vaulters will have a lot of jumps under their belts so that it's quite a bit safer (and less of a liability) for the school. If you or one of the parents is a certified official, you can pitch that as well; since a well-run high school competition is a safer situation.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:18 pm

Two words: liability insurance

souleman
PV Lover

Unread postby souleman » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:38 pm

I get what you mean Becca. Question is insurance over and above what USATF club membership provides? Or is the USATF umbrella enough?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:54 pm

souleman wrote:I get what you mean Becca. Question is insurance over and above what USATF club membership provides? Or is the USATF umbrella enough?

I don't understand your question. It would be up to your school whether or not what USATF provides is adequate. Sometimes a school's policy covers the kids from that school practicing in the summer, but USATF would be needed for kids from other schools.

souleman
PV Lover

Unread postby souleman » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:53 am

The question was in regards to whether or not the USATF insurance is enough insurance for the schools to be OK with when I present the proposal. In other words, is the USATF the liability insurance you were referring to. I saw that on the application for the club they have a supplemental insurance available to clubs. Most guys that I have talked to about clubs say that it is not necessary but having a school involved might it be something to offer or have available? Like I said, if I present this to a school official, I have to have the presentation air tight and have an answer for all the possible questions.

stormvault
PV Fan

Unread postby stormvault » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:07 pm

I would think all you would need to do is go through Community Ed and Rec. Usually they ok outside groups on facility use. Using the facility would be no different than AAU basketball or JO volleyball practicing at a school. Most schools don't cover outside groups. Outside sport organizations have insurance from the parent organization.

You may have to pay a rental fee to the school district. How much you pay would depend on weather you are a for profit or non-profit.

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:17 pm

mike, the USATF insurance is adequate for the University of Tennessee to allow the Knoxville Track Club to use both the outdoor and indoor facilities. Just a little ammunition for ya!

souleman
PV Lover

Unread postby souleman » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:24 am

BINGO! Now we're talkin'! Thanks David

CowtownPV
PV Follower
Expertise: HS coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bob

Unread postby CowtownPV » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:49 pm

Also it depends on wear and tear on the schools equipement. If your using their pit and runway and they have to replace it I'm sure they would want to charge you. A few years back I was at a school where my kids couldn't afford a camp so I had some coaches use my facility for free, but my kids didn't have to pay. So assuming you have club kids from other schools offer to charge that schools kids less.
Winners find a way to win, losers find an excuse.

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”