What should future coaches take in college?

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

OH-IOvaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, Former High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Mondo Duplantis: 8yrs/9ft!!

Re: What should future coaches take in college?

Unread postby OH-IOvaulter » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:55 pm

Getting back to the original quote as to what future coaches (if that is indeed what they intend to pursue as a career) should take in college to make themselves more able and well rounded. I can't tell you what to take, I'm no Petrov, but I can tell you what I took that worked really well for me. Physiology and Kinetics are a must, understanding how the body is functioning during the vault is invaluable to understanding the event and coaching it. Physics to me was an enormous help when I found my athletes from my first few years progressing from heights of 12 and 13 to bars of 15 and 16. A lot changes in the vault in those heights and knowing why and how the pole does what it does in conjunction with the vaulter was invaluable as well. I can't speak to many other colleges (mine had everything from music appreciation to underwater basket weaving as majors) but mine had a lot of coaching specific classes that were great in learning how to work with high school athletes and even college athletes as well. If you can manage to schmooze your way into doing an "internship" with a known and respected coach at a college your understanding of the event, knowledge of it, and contacts would help you more than you'd know. I can't speak to coaching as a career, wish I could, career pulled me away from the vault; but I get to protect our right to vault every day. Good Luck in all!!
What is nice about this sport is that I am responsible for most everything.
-Sergei Bubka

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:39 pm

OH-IOvaulter wrote: I can't speak to coaching as a career, wish I could, career pulled me away from the vault; but I get to protect our right to vault every day.

:star: :yes:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

OH-IOvaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, Former High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Mondo Duplantis: 8yrs/9ft!!

Unread postby OH-IOvaulter » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:52 am

Thank you Kirk, its good to be back on here with at least a lil bit of free time to read and catch up on the vault!
What is nice about this sport is that I am responsible for most everything.

-Sergei Bubka

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”