15 yr. old girl w/ potential-now what?

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

kmonty51
PV Fan

15 yr. old girl w/ potential-now what?

Unread postby kmonty51 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:17 pm

Hello everyone - Haven't logged into PVP in awhile...We recently completed our high school season (last June). Had a freshman girl with absolutely no pole vault experience come my way. Literally didn't know what a pole vault pole looked like. Was a gymnast. Her plant and take-off sucked - top hand by her ear as she took off from two feet. She had a difficult time curing herself of that two-footed take-off. Went 6 feet her first meet. Over the next couple months (we only have about a two and a half month season - no indoor season), she gradually improved, improving her run and plant substantially with long distance help from ladyvolspvcoach, though she still runs a little hunched over (not tall). By our conference meet she jumped 9 feet holding about 10'6 on an 11/140 that she gets a little bend out of without really trying. She weighs about 135 and is about 5'6 tall. A week later at Regionals she went 9'9 on the same pole with a good attempt at 10 (think she would have made it if she hadn't been so tired - came in at 8 feet, plus trials and finals in two relays).

Her swing is fairly good. She turns well until she gets to about 8'6. From there on she is clearing the bar with sort of a half turn at best. I have ropes inside, but have not been successful getting a high bar put in out near the track. She would have access to those kinds of things during the winter gymnastics season if the gymnastics coach would let her work on some pole vault drills (Bubkas, etc.). I think she will.

Any suggestions? I've only coached pole vault three seasons now; however, I have about 25 years experience as a track and field coach (horizontal jumps and hurdles) and I know when I've been blessed with a very talented athlete. I've coached state champions in the past, and I think this young lady is that good if I do things right.
"How old would ya be if ya didn't know how old ya was?" - Satchel Paige

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: 15 yr. old girl w/ potential-now what?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:07 pm

Try and get her to do some running workouts in the off season, I am guessing that is her weak link.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:00 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:Try and get her to do some running workouts in the off season, I am guessing that is her weak link.

And long jump would cure her of the 2-foot takeoff habit. But I guess you're past that problem already. LJ will still help her takeoff technique tho.

I wouldn't worry too much about how she clears the bar. Have her work on drills for the run, plant, takeoff, and bottom half of the vault. Rope, highbar and rings are good, but I doubt that her in-the-air technique is lacking ... compared to other girls her age. Getting her plant stretched up will help immensely.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:57 pm

Sounds like your girl has some talent.

I would look at the Dave Bulter drill in the developmental section of this board to develop a tall takeoff. Also, I would check out Skyjumpers.com for 'jumpover drills" because they can be done in the gym if need be. These drills will help her take off greatly.

I would try to get a pole in her hands during your team warmups for the high knee and skipping drills. Have her hold about 3/4 up from the bottom. It is almost impossible to slump over during a high knee drill.

Also, you said she is a gymnast. Gymnasts tend to run with low knees. I have four girls that are gymnasts so I know what I'm talking about. A low knee run with cause your girl's steps to be all over the place but mostly under all the time. Teach her to get her knees up when she runs.

Just my two cents.
Good luck.

Barefoot
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 15'

Unread postby Barefoot » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:02 am

I have 6 fifteen year girls... one is a gymast. The gymnast has a different kind of problem... the run, and the take-off. She's miles better than the other girls on the swing and above the bar, but she relies on her swing and core... if her run and plant were on a par with the other girls she would be smoking them instead of being third on the depth chart.

Pole runs
Plant work
Grass Vaults (jump-overs)
Sand Vaulting

Get the run and Plant/takeoff sorted and get the pole speed moving and she will quickly move up the grip which will allow her to take advantage of that superior gymnastic edge.

Just my 2 cents.

BTW... I had a high school girl jump 12' a couple of years ago, who had the half turn issue at the top... worry about the first part of the vault first.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:46 pm

Any suggestions? Buy the "From Beginner to Bubka and Isinbyeva" book and dvd from Becca. They will not only enable you to help this athlete but any others you meet in the future. ;)
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:39 pm

He already owns them both per my suggestion. With that said, can you add more to help him?
Later..........Mike

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:46 pm

Simply follow the sequence in the dvd - remembering that repetition and accurate feedback are the keys to perfection. Include at least one session of full run ups on the track - not the runway -every week. :)
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

kmonty51
PV Fan

Unread postby kmonty51 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:55 pm

Yup - not only do I have BTB 2, but I credit it, along with help from ladyvolspvcoach, souleman, other members of this forum, and some of my friendly rivals in our conference coaching ranks for being able to help two girls surpass 9'6 this year. I know 9'6 is no great shakes to most of you, but both young ladies set a new school record, that had been around for several years, within one week of each other. I don't consider 9'9 to be much of a height as school records go - I fully intend to help these girls put it well beyond 9'9. In any case, it's not too bad and I'm rambling. :o
"How old would ya be if ya didn't know how old ya was?" - Satchel Paige

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:52 pm

As one who has worked with girls up here in the north country, I can say that 9', 10', and 11' jumpers do pretty well for the teams up here in Wisconsin and Minnesota. My biggest issue, (and I'm sure yours too) is getting that mental committment out of the ladies. I've got one gal that signed up for my club that went 11' as a sophomore. She came one Sunday and I haven't seen her since. The boys from the same school said she has had her plate full this summer so we'll see if she starts coming during the fall sessions. The boys however have been here most every Saturday or Sundays that I've had club. For some reason the girls are "all in" during the three months of track season but then don't give it a thought till the middle of the following February. Worst part is they wonder why they can't do any better than they do during the season. I don't have an answer for my complaint other than just to do what I can when I work with them. You think you were rambling?............WOW....look at me go. Later..................Mike

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:00 pm

Shoot. Give yourself a bunch of credit. With no indoor and not starting your season until March and the weather up here in the great white north, 9' 6" is great.

Keep up the good work.

Barefoot
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 15'

Unread postby Barefoot » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:46 pm

Soulman made an interesting comment about girls and commitment. My experience has been the opposite... my 12' girl was completely committed. Most the boys have been fairly fly-bye, with a notable exception here and there. But my rising sophomore girls are fanatical. If I called a practice tomorrow they would be there. I suspect this in part is due to the fact they they travel in a pack. The event is part competitive and part social. Its hard for kids to go it alone.

Silly as it may be, developing the social net around pole vault might help not only individual vaulters but a program as a whole.

Anyone else have this experience?

And while I'm on it... anyone have any words of wisdom for developing that social network for our younger vaulters?

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”