40 meter test info

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

altius
PV Rock Star

Re: 40 meter test info

Unread postby altius » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:07 am

Dr. Jean Claude Perin -coach of 84 Olympic Champ Quinon, did a study of French vaulters of that period and found that the best correlation - of about twenty items usually associated with success in the vault, was by far the long jump - at around .86%. My view is that this would hold good for high schoolers -assuming they have at least a working technical model. But as we all know in our event we have to take what we can get!!
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:06 pm

hye

i'm adding to my last post..

ps.. reference..

a 14 foot vaulter should long jump 15 feet from 6 steps.. the six steps starts at 35 feet
a 13 foot vaulter should LJ 14 feet from 6 steps.. the six steps starts at 34 feet
a 12 foot vaulter 13 feet from 6 steps.. the six steps starts at 33 feet

some of you vaulters give us some feed back.. you 12, 13, 14.. even 18 footers.. what can you jump from 6 steps?

dj

superpipe
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, Club Coach, High School Coach, Parent
Favorite Vaulter: Who else, Bubka.

Unread postby superpipe » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:42 am

DJ,

How about women's general specs for vault and long jump relationship?
Chris Mitchell
MitchellPro Vault Club

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:56 am

Hye Chris,

Men and women are the same numbers… it’s based on “potential’ application of force.

Alan mentioned having the right “model” and that is correct.. that “right” model will follow physics.. and produce the best result with the amount of correct force applied.

By now we should know what that “model’ is from the 100’s of pages that have been written here.. unless we have become “confused”. If that is the case, all of us should simply compare what we think we are hearing to the physics of the action.

When women begin vaulting Steve Chappell (Spirit) and I had a discussion on the potential world record for women.. I had already done a comparative study from the 100 meters and long jump for men and women, this included Jackie Joiner-Kersey, Dreseler, Florence Griffin-Joiner, Carl Lewis, etc.. the result was a 17-3 vault by women.

I still stand by that today.. what we haven’t done is coach “to the physics”. We have not backed the run up so there would be more speed and potential force to grip high enough to jump that high. What frustrates me is we have “dumbed” the vault down to “short run” vaulting.

I don’t believe the long jumpers have done that! Or the triple jumpers, sprinter, hurdlers??? Even high jumpers are backing up and RUNNING at the bar..

No the numbers are the same.. a women who can vault 14 feet should have a 15 foot long jump from 6 steps…

Think “physics’…

dj

superpipe
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, Club Coach, High School Coach, Parent
Favorite Vaulter: Who else, Bubka.

Unread postby superpipe » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:20 pm

Duh. Not even sure why I asked that. I'm an engineer. You'd think I'd realize gender has nothing to do with simply applying a required force. My bad, but thanks for the response.
Chris Mitchell
MitchellPro Vault Club

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:58 pm

DJ,
It's interesting you bring up the long jump. Last summer at a couple of meets I tried the long jump. I had no idea where to start my run from. What I did was use the chart numbers that I used for my pole vault. I grip for a 10' jump and use a 37' mid. With that in mind I subtracted take off spot from the 37 and started my run to hit the corrected mid. Now keep in mind I'm 58 and a 9 foot vaulter but I hit the board with this formula everytime and managed a 12' 8" long jump. This is off topic a bit but for those of you who have not placed the overall importance and uses of the chart, my experience might lead you to consider this important tool. This thread also gives me some new goals (13' 6" from 33') to shoot for. Later...........Mike

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:30 am

Good morning

I hope it’s common knowledge now days that the horizontal jumps (and I include the pole vault and even javelin to this) are directly proportionate to the speed of the run. The speed of the run is determined by “length and frequency’.. frequency (how many strides per second) is more or less predetermine in humans by our “bipedal structure” (@4.5 to 5.0 steps/strides per second) so the “question” is creating stride length while maintaining frequency. This is done by more “push off force”…

The chart has simply given you the correct length for the amount of speed at that length that will give you the corresponding speed without over striding.. sounds “confusing’ but its simple..

Speed used correctly turns into “force” which in the vault results in a higher grip which results in a higher vault.. (all other technical parameters being equal)

It’s the same for the long jump.. that’s why there is a direct correlation from the long jump to the vault… the run..

dj

ps when i did my LJ, 100 meter and pole vault comparison I used the top 10 to 15 100 meter times.. you can figure the 40 yards from those if you want to know the correlation to pole vault.. like I said the women should be jumping 17-3.. that was from an average 100m of 10.8/9 ish and a long jump of 23-6/24??

I’m guessing a women or man running 4.7/4.8 40 yards could jump 17 feet…

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”