Athlete advice

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

waddleaw12
PV Beginner
Expertise: 4 years coaching pole vault/multi-events
Lifetime Best: 12'1"
Favorite Vaulter: Rogowska

Athlete advice

Unread postby waddleaw12 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:35 am

I have an athlete thats been doing very well and has come a long way, but i've hit a snag the last couple of weeks with her swings. She has a decent swing, but I can't seem to get her to get her left arm on the inside of the pole during her swing. I'm not sure in this case if its a huge deal, because her arm isn't out it is right on the pole.
I have a video of her and let me know what you think or any tips or tricks you have used..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n-HzV_D ... re=related

Thank You
Anthony Waddle
Apex Vaulting

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Re: Athlete advice

Unread postby dj » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:30 pm

hey Waddleaw12

i would say three things that are of course connected...

number one..... keep the bottom wrist "straight".. i don't mean push the pole just don't curl the wrist during the swing…

number two….and to accomplish that/this she should plant higher and swing faster....

number three…and to accomplish that she needs to work on the run with some 20/20's or “steps based on grip” from my "Mid Mark Chart"...

i noticed you were in a back yard so you may have to mark the steps in the street.. with chalk...

looks like a good chance to improve to a "fun' level

good luck

dj

waddleaw12
PV Beginner

Unread postby waddleaw12 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:56 pm

I'll move her to her shorter run and try this.
thanks

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:15 pm

DJ's on the button with this one. One of the things that I saw was that she wants to run "long" not "strong". Work on her posture during run up (she leans forward more than I would like to see). Using DJ's chart and a routine that ladyvolscoach David Job put together and some sled and hill runs (lot's of threads on this forum regarding this)will get her run more in order. Once that's rockin', the other stuff will follow. Keep in mind (and you probably know this already so this might fall into the "no Duh" category) the vault starts at the top of the runway. Therefore focus should be there before moving to events closer to the pit and eventually over the bar. Nice start! .....Later...................Mike

waddleaw12
PV Beginner

Unread postby waddleaw12 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:18 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIaQC8DLY8M&NR=1
here's one of her short run. It does look a lot better and stronger
thank you

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:03 pm

waddleaw12, do you have a track near the pv pit? If you do and you'd be interested I'd be happy to share the rundrill that souleman mentioned. Also, if you are interested I'd be happy to send you a Dartfish analysis of some of her jumps. It might help illustrate better some of the things Dj and Souleman mentioned...just send me as many videos as you 'd like and I'll do the analysis and send them back...just a friendly offer..

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”