Why do it in the NCAA but not at the high school level

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Why do it in the NCAA but not at the high school level

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:50 pm

Hey All,
I was just looking at the new NCAA rule book and I can't understand why we at the high school level can't have these rules.

"Competitors may use a glove or an adhesive substance on their hands or on
the pole in order to obtain a better grip. The use of a forearm cover to prevent
injuries also shall be allowed."

I can't tell you how many times I have needed to argue with meet officials about the forearm padding. They think it is jewelry!

Plus, gloves would be a godsend up here in the Land of Lincoln. I can't tell you how many practices I lose in the early part of the season because it's cold outside,

If you know why these changes are not in the high school rules, please enlighten me.

LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Re: Why do it in the NCAA but not at the high school level

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:41 am

I've never had a problem in high school, personally and with my athletes, about the forearm protection. The gloves I can't argue with... you want as "real" of a grip as possible. Having that layer between your hand and the pole doesn't give you much of a feeling as to if your grip is on their all the way.

Similar as to receivers in football, and some weightlifters. The thinner the substance between the hand and ball, pole, or bar, the more feel you have of what's in your hands, and the better.

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:27 pm

vcpvcoach wrote:Hey All,
I was just looking at the new NCAA rule book and I can't understand why we at the high school level can't have these rules.

"Competitors may use a glove or an adhesive substance on their hands or on
the pole in order to obtain a better grip. The use of a forearm cover to prevent
injuries also shall be allowed."

I can't tell you how many times I have needed to argue with meet officials about the forearm padding. They think it is jewelry!

Plus, gloves would be a godsend up here in the Land of Lincoln. I can't tell you how many practices I lose in the early part of the season because it's cold outside,

If you know why these changes are not in the high school rules, please enlighten me.

It is just because Illinois makes silly rules. I vault in the IHSA for 4 years from '00-'03, and it never ceased to amaze me the rules they came up with.
Man Up and Jump

drcurran
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, USAT&F Official, PIAA Official
Lifetime Best: 14'
Favorite Vaulter: Brian Sternberg

Unread postby drcurran » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:36 pm

I've been saying the same thing for a long time. Why different rules at different levels? The Pole Vault should have the same rules from Jr. High / middle school to international. Different rules to me would be like 2 strikes in HS baseball but you get 3 strikes when you move up to college, and then in the majors you get 4 strikes. And the no gloves is a National Federation rule and used all over the place not just Illinois. OK just my .02

Dan

PS - As an official I keep a "cheat sheet" with me when officiating to be sure I don't confuse NCAA, USATF, and Nat. Fed. rules.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was!
TK

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”