USATF competition rules

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

mjaubbs40
PV Whiz

USATF competition rules

Unread postby mjaubbs40 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:32 pm

Question regarding run through/practice jump in USATF competition. In NFHS rules, an athlete gets a run through if they pass 3 heights before entering the competition. I've heard different things for USATF (every 1 hour) but can't find anything written down. What are the official USATF rules about running a PV competition and does anyone know where they are posted?
"If it were easy, everyone would do it"

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: USATF competition rules

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:04 pm

For open competitions or Junior Olympics? I think Open Competitions there are no run throughs and Junior Olympics it is if they pass three heights like in high school.

Vaultref
PV Pro
Expertise: Master USATF official .. Vertical jumps specialty
Lifetime Best: zero feet

Re: USATF competition rules

Unread postby Vaultref » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:25 pm

Here's a link to a section by section 2008 USATF book : http://www.usatf.org/about/rules/2008/index.asp

Here's link to a pdf version of the same book: http://www.usatf.org/about/rules/2008/2 ... FRules.pdf

You have to search for the classification you are interested in, such as OPEN, MASTERS or YOUTH.
The JO's will use YOUTH "exceptions". A few weeks ago at the Junior Nationals, OPEN rules were used.

There is no 1 hour rule anywhere except in the NCAA rule code.

The warm-up rule used in the JO regionals is not the same as what will be used at the Championship meet.
All this is detailed in the book. Look for 302.5.q and 302.5.r

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”