old drill something new added

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

advath
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have coached a 13' high school girl, 17' high school boy, NCAA Champion and number 1 HS sprinters

old drill something new added

Unread postby advath » Thu May 08, 2008 11:42 am

has anyone done this?

an addition to an old drill. if you don't have a real deep pit...first i take one section of the back pads and put it length wise across behind the pit. i move the other 2 in the middle, clip the top pad as best can do. we move the standards wide and about 6 feet behind the box and add a bungee up where they can go over it. we put a 48" plyo box against the front of the box on the runway side. the vaulter does the old swing up and inverted drill into the pit off the box. i stand straddling the box holding the pole with both hands. as the vaulter passes the box i lift the pole up and forward shooting the vaulter into the air and deep into the pit. u wouldn't believe how high u can shoot your vaulter no matter how big they are because you're not lifting them straight up. the vaulter tries to shoot straight up the line of the pole turning and pushing off their top hand. our vaulters are making bars a huge distance over their top hand doing this drill.

be safe...let me know what u think if u try this.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu May 08, 2008 11:45 am

I would only consider it if I had 2 sets of pits, I wouldn't take pieces away from the existing pit to make it longer. :confused:

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby bjvando » Thu May 08, 2008 11:46 am

I think I understand it, but a vid. or pictures would be more clear..

sounds pretty fun though!
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Thu May 08, 2008 12:33 pm

hye

this is a further indication that it is the "swing" that produces the height above the grip and not a catapulting pole.

and the speed into the plant plays a major role in producing the speed of the swing...combined with the swing radius, you get the "force" to create the height above the grip....

that is why it is extremely hard to get above the hand grip with a short run and a low grip..

dj

ps.. everyone like my "double talk!" gotta keep everyone thinking.
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

charlie
PV Pro

lift

Unread postby charlie » Thu May 08, 2008 8:45 pm

Let me explain a concept that is true and not a thery!! When you pull a bow back and let it go with a STRAIGHT arrow it catapults the arrow with tremendous force. If you have a vaulter that has enough guts to COMPLETELY invert EARLY with the pole still bent they definatly be catapulted up off the end of a pole!!! When you concentrate on a long swing, the pole straightens out before you get completely inverted and all the power is gone. That is why the American elite vaulters won't threaten the 20' barrier, because they straight arm block too far and are not willing to get back EARLY enough to catch the lift that the pole COULD & WOULD give!!!!!

Sebes
PV Whiz

Swing

Unread postby Sebes » Thu May 08, 2008 9:05 pm

Charlie...what if you keep a long swing...but do it quickly enough to still catch the un-bending of the pole? Then you can still get the catapult effect, AND put additional energy into the jump...enabling you to get on bigger poles?

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Fri May 09, 2008 2:06 am

charlie, the problem with your comparison is that the pole does not catapult the vaulter at all. Re-read dj's post (the one right before yours).

The long swing allows you to continue to keep pressure on the pole, which keeps the pole moving in towards the mats and allows for a continuous and dynamic vault. "rocking back" early and waiting for the pole to "throw" you introduces a passive phase into the vault and wastes a incredible amount of the energy transferred into the pole, limiting not only the depth the pole travels, but your maximum hand grip and the maximum stiffness of pole that you can safely penetrate into the PLZ.

I've noticed that most vaulters that employ the technique you describe vault with their standards at 20in (50cm) or closer on a consistent basis (those that don't are actually on too small of a pole) and are much more likely to come up short and/or land in the box.

A long swing done correctly will result in a very fast inversion, given enough speed off the ground. dj has posted many times on that very point.
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

charlie
PV Pro

automatic swing

Unread postby charlie » Fri May 09, 2008 7:09 am

I stand by my fact,and ejoy going to meets and hear coments DID YOU SEE THAT!! Ido not teach swing because , if if you use DJ's mid mark chart you will AUTOMATICLY SWING to the L position with a decent run and early plant. I also do not teach to segment the vault. You pass through the L position and pull your HIPS up and through the turn. All my vaulters keep the standards at 30cm. Igo to meets and hear 17 & 18 ft vaulters bragging about jumping on big poles and getting zero lift . and they are the ones I am talking about using so much effort to get in they won't ever get the LIFT that BUBKA & BECKER gets BECAUSE of the technique they use. I have a 12 yr old 109 lb That has been 13' with a bar, and he is fun to watch getting SHOT up off the end using my technique.

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Re: automatic swing

Unread postby bjvando » Fri May 09, 2008 11:33 am

charlie wrote: All my vaulters keep the standards at 30cm. Igo to meets and hear 17 & 18 ft vaulters bragging about jumping on big poles and getting zero lift . and they are the ones I am talking about using so much effort to get in they won't ever get the LIFT that BUBKA & BECKER gets BECAUSE of the technique they use.

1. If you TRULY have all of your athletes jump with the standards at 30cm, then your vaulters are unsafe. I'm hoping that is a typo and you meant 30 inches.

2. And as far as 17 and 18 ft vaulters 'not getting lift' well they're getting enough lift to jump 17 or 18 ft aren't they? Last time I checked, unless you're gripping 18' you're obviously getting "lift" to jump that high.

3. Looking at Bubkas videos. Looks like a pretty long trail leg to me...
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

charlie
PV Pro

old

Unread postby charlie » Fri May 09, 2008 4:58 pm

sorry about the typo 80cm 64yrs young I'm some times neglegent(although not to often. !8' is certainly a great vault as long as you are not vaulting against a 20'er. I'll continue to coach the way I vaulted. Iwas the slowest masters vaulter on the planet but still managed 25 national titles-8 indoor and outdoor world records and back to back world championships. Had the best year coaching hs vaulters 5 state chamions in 1a-2a &3a, in2008 which brings my total to32. Incidentally my favorate place to vault was Cal State Fullerton. Trained with Daley Thompson pryor to 84 games. Much success to you and your vaulters!!!

craigmtb
PV Wannabe
Expertise: High School Coach, USATF Level 1
Favorite Vaulter: Toby"Crash"Stevenson

Re: old drill something new added

Unread postby craigmtb » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:21 pm

Charlie, could you please post video of one of your vaulters using your model. I would like to analyze the differences. I am curious to see how far a part the models truly are.

Thanks,
Craig Hanson
PV Coach Yelm High School

Keep vaulters safe!
(I want to keep my job)

charlie
PV Pro

Re: old drill something new added

Unread postby charlie » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:50 pm

Don't know how to post video's, but will try to explain my coaching methods. I first teach them how to run with LIFT. Blazing speed that is flat is no good for a High and early plant. I learned this from one of the greatest sprint coaches ever. My freind Brooks Johnston.Petrof told Bubka that he wanted a smooth support, That is why his left arm breaks at 45 degres and lets the chest and swing happen AUTOMATICLY-with lift in the run I might add. He wanted Bubka to gofrom tall at the plant to TALLER up over his head, NOT OUT IN FRONT.Regaudless what coaches say, he does have a slight PRESS , not CLUTCH at the initial tak-off. Now comes the critical part, which is a gymnastic move. As you leave contact with the grond FORWARD ,not UP you press, NOT BLOCK to keep the [pole moving at the same time you PASS THROUGH the l position and you DO NOT TUCK you continue to do arope drill I have all my vaulters do(pull the HIPS straight up off the pole) I currently have 23 vaulters from 4 states and 12 highschools getting BLOWN up off the end of the pole with this method. Also have a 9 yr olg girl that has cleared 8'6" with this method and in the next 6 mo. She will vault 10" min. Good luck to you!!!! Coach Charlie

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”