Maximum Top Hand Holds and High School Vaulters

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

OH-IOvaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, Former High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Mondo Duplantis: 8yrs/9ft!!

Maximum Top Hand Holds and High School Vaulters

Unread postby OH-IOvaulter » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:48 pm

Currently the rules in Ohio high school athletics state that a vaulter is not allowed to hold higher than the top hand hold band that is placed there by the manufacturer. Considering pole selection and purchase, different companies place their respective bands at different points on the pole. Mystic Carbons have approximately a 1 inch band placed at the very top of the pole. Pacers are thicker but are also placed decently higher up. UCS Spirit places their stickers significantly down on their poles, essentially making a 14' pole a 13' 7". If one can safely vault on a Mystic Carbon while holding at the top of the pole, why can one not do the same on a Spirit. I am just looking for the opinions of other coaches on this forum. I think some sort of uniformity would benefit those looking at different poles with respect to selection based on length. Your opinions?
What is nice about this sport is that I am responsible for most everything.
-Sergei Bubka

Rhino
PV Pro

Unread postby Rhino » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:11 pm

First, these are my ideas, not information from UCS or any other polemaker. I think that when the High School weight rating rule came into effect and many if not most poles lacked a weight band that conformed to the rules, the coach was allowed to mark the pole with tape placed 6 inches from the top. Perhaps UCS just went with the six inches for that reason. Some of the world's top vaulters use UCS poles and hold at the very top. I don't think they are doing anything unsafe by so doing.

I am an old, slow vaulter who weighs about 160 lbs. I typically hold a foot from the end of any brand pole marked at 160. I need about a 180 lb. pole to hold at the end. I have known many high school vaulters, though, who can hold at the end of a pole rated at their weight and not bend it.

If the band is mandated to be the maximum handhold, I cannot see any purpose for having pole above the band. Those six inches of wasted fiberglass can easily cost $50 more. I would implore UCS to wake up and change the location of their stickers.

Here is something to consider:

When buying poles for high school vaulters who are less than elite, a pole with a higher weight rating and the same actual stiffness is of much greater value than the same stiffness pole with a lighter weight rating.

Please don't try to bring about an enforced uniformity. Just buy from the manufacturer who suits your needs best.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Maximum Top Hand Holds and High School Vaulters

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:31 am

OH-IOvaulter wrote:Currently the rules in Ohio high school athletics state that a vaulter is not allowed to hold higher than the top hand hold band that is placed there by the manufacturer. Considering pole selection and purchase, different companies place their respective bands at different points on the pole. Mystic Carbons have approximately a 1 inch band placed at the very top of the pole. Pacers are thicker but are also placed decently higher up. UCS Spirit places their stickers significantly down on their poles, essentially making a 14' pole a 13' 7". If one can safely vault on a Mystic Carbon while holding at the top of the pole, why can one not do the same on a Spirit. I am just looking for the opinions of other coaches on this forum. I think some sort of uniformity would benefit those looking at different poles with respect to selection based on length. Your opinions?

If you are a high school coach than you have to factor in the rules. It may be perfectly safe to break the rules in many instances, but it is irrelevant, because you are still breaking the rules.

I like that they leave it up to the manufacturer. I definitely prefer that over the NFHS trying to dictate the maximum handhold. Let the manufacturer decide where it is safe to hold their poles, they would know best.

OH-IOvaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, Former High School Coach

Unread postby OH-IOvaulter » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:13 pm

I agree with you rhino that elite vaulters vault safely holding the top of their poles. My theory is just that if my vaulters can vault safely holding the top of their Essx and Mystic carbons, they can vault safely holding the top of a spirit. Uniformity can definitely be a bad thing, I just think that if its safe to hold atop one pole, its safe to hold atop another.

-Sergei Bubka

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:24 pm

hello

Each manufacture must determine where to place the “band’ based on their own knowledge and judgment as to “what is safeâ€
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

OH-IOvaulter
PV Whiz

Unread postby OH-IOvaulter » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:38 pm

I just see the problem in that case being the ignorance of the coaches and not the fault of grip being available. You're right about the forces and skills of the vaulter matching the pole, I have a sophomore boy that is 5'3" and jumps 14' 6" - 14' 9", thats holding at 13' 9". He can safely hold atop the pole. I guess I just don't like rules that make complete sense for some, and limit others. For the safety of the vaulters with a coach that doesn't know the safe and proper way to vault and coach I understand a lot of the rules, but when trying to get a pole that will benefit more than just one vaulter and the unfortunately small high school budget, I just like simplicity.

-Sergei Bubka

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:16 pm

Why not get him on a stiffer pole? He should be able to clear 16'+ with a 13'9" grip. Sometimes moving the grip up will not result in higher clearances. If he can hold 14'+, I would suggest a longer pole.

One of the mistakes I see with several young vaulters is trying to hold too high for no reason at all.

When I have a kid jump around 15' on a 14 foot pole, that's when I make the transition to a longer series. There's no rule that says you have to hold the highest to jump the highest. :yes:

OH-IOvaulter
PV Whiz

Unread postby OH-IOvaulter » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:22 pm

He can hold 14' plus, but there are a few other vaulters that will be able to use a 1460, hes on a 1455 now, so I think I'm going to get him a 1460 because it will help the two other vaulters as well, its their next progression and they can't hold higher, Ill look for another pole for him if the budget randomly increases.

-Sergei Bubka

Livininthepast
PV Beginner

Re: Maximum Top Hand Holds and High School Vaulters

Unread postby Livininthepast » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:08 pm

The manufacturer tests the rating of the pole at different places than other manufacturers. That is why the tape is at a different place. The rating of the pole was not tested higher on the pole. When held at that higher position the rating is unknown. The high school rules are for safety.
Must possess ability and desire

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”