During a meet, other coach making bad adjustments

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

During a meet, other coach making bad adjustments

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:35 am

Hi all,
We had our first dual, actaully a quad, yesterday and one the opposing coaches was making poor adjustments for his vaulters.

For example, he was watching runners on the track and catching his vaulters out of the corner of his eye. Then, he would move a vaulters grips up three fists or move them back two shoes. It was driving me crazy.

What would you do if you saw this?

I do have to say that none of the changes to told his athletes make put them in danger, i.e. coming up short, landing in the box. They all were in the PLZ. It did, however, make it difficult for his athletes to make the bar.

So, gang, what would you do?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:42 am

If they are not putting the athletes in danger, I generally don't say anything.

But around here, almost all of the coaches are very friendly and eager to learn. Last year was my first year coaching pole vault in this state and I had a lot of coaches picking my brain by the end of the season.

I do offer to help kids with no coaches if they need it, and I have loaned poles to kids from rival schools before.

In a situation like you described, I could potentially see myself doing the following: If the coach was in earshot, if I told my athlete to make an adjustment, I might do a bit more explaining to my athletes than normal (or more loudly than normal!). For example, "You're not quite rotating the pole in the pit as fast as I would like to see, so let's lower your grip two inches."

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”