Which Pole next?

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

drcurran
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, USAT&F Official, PIAA Official
Lifetime Best: 14'
Favorite Vaulter: Brian Sternberg

Which Pole next?

Unread postby drcurran » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:26 pm

Here is the situation we are faced with. High school junior, 6' 2" 155 lbs, personal best 13'6" jumping on a 14'6" / 165. Still has about "3 fists" of grip left, but at this point he seems to be "blowing through" the pole. So the question is what pole would be the next logical pole to purchase? Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!

Dan
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was!
TK

patybobady
PV Pro
Expertise: High School Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'9"
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby patybobady » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:46 pm

14' 180 or a 14'6 170...
Fight the good fight: It's nice to be great but it's far greater to be nice.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Which Pole next?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:49 am

drcurran wrote:Here is the situation we are faced with. High school junior, 6' 2" 155 lbs, personal best 13'6" jumping on a 14'6" / 165. Still has about "3 fists" of grip left, but at this point he seems to be "blowing through" the pole. So the question is what pole would be the next logical pole to purchase? Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!

Dan

Is he bending it a lot or just moving it really fast or both? If he is bending a lot and moving it fast, I'd probably go 14'6 170 or 175 and raise his grip a fist. If he still has 3 fists of grip to move up on a 14'6 pole, I wouldn't go to 15 footers yet.

LHSVaulterJJR
PV Whiz
Expertise: current college vaulter, former USATF and high school coach
Favorite Vaulter: David spivey, scott roth

Unread postby LHSVaulterJJR » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:51 pm

It really does depend on weather hes blowing threw it because hes pushing it to verticle quickly or weather hes just mushing the pole and the bend wont come back to him ... if hes blowing through the pole because of his speed and because hes pushing it to verticle quickly just move up his hand grip but if the bend isnt coming back to him ide either stay with the same length pole and move up 10 to 15 pounds or drop 6 inches in length due to your athletes grip right now and still get a pole 10-15 pounds heavier... you shouldnt get a longer sized pole until he starts clearing his hand grip alot more effectivley .. he should be able to jump( if hes gripping 14ft ) at least 14'6 15ft ... we have a vaulter who was gripping at 14ft and jumps 16. personally ide get him to bump up in weight not length again if hes blowing through it because the bends not coming back to him.

good luck

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”