Moral Dilemma

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

rwelch
PV Beginner

Moral Dilemma

Unread postby rwelch » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:44 pm

I have a lot of new vaulters this year, so that is good. What I am faced with is budget issues. Our track program is given a shoestring to operate on, and that is being generous. I have several vaulters who i do not have appropriate poles for (I think). I could have them jump on a stick that is rated for their weight but hold way down (like a 14' 150), but i dont feel like they will be able to progress properly vaulting this way. Am I wrong? Can i make a long pole work for a newer vaulter?

Please let me know what you think. I will be calling around our district to see if there are poles I can borrow. Short of that... I'm all ears :)
"My steps are off... "

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

new vaulters

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:55 am

If you have a lot of new vaulters one of the best things they can do is learn to straight pole vault. Matching up poles to vaulters skills should happen after they are proficient on the straight poles....and Lots of drills and pole runs with any pole will be beneficial

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Re: new vaulters

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:57 am

ladyvolspvcoach wrote:If you have a lot of new vaulters one of the best things they can do is learn to straight pole vault. Matching up poles to vaulters skills should happen after they are proficient on the straight poles....and Lots of drills and pole runs with any pole will be beneficial

I absolutely agree. They may not like it, but time spent stiff poling will pay of big later on. They may even beat some of the beginners they compete against who are bending their poles. And if the kids that are bending their poles are doing it the wrong way, your kids will absolutely thrash them a couple of seasons down the road. If you cannot stiff pole, you don't know how to vault.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:13 am

At the PV Summit years ago, Yuri Volkov (probably 1st great Soviet PV coach) said that he did not allow beginners to bend a pole until they could stiff pole 3.70m (12'1"). It was mainly because getting poles into the USSR was very difficult so they focused on getting larger poles for advanced vaulters. Once he did get some small poles, he said that he wasn't satisfied with the progress the kids that bent a pole made compared to those that stiff poled.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

rwelch
PV Beginner

Unread postby rwelch » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:18 pm

awesome, thx for the input and info. Guess I got big eyes seeing some of the other programs we compete with and all of their shiny new poles, lol. Come to think of it, i dont believe i ever vaulted on a "brand new" pole. HA!
"My steps are off... "

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”