How you would start a program from the ground up?

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:36 pm

Totally agree with Souleman and Becca. Thanks for the input!! Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:43 pm

Chapters 11 through 18 of BTBB2 were written by a master teacher and coach and derive from the experience and reflection of fifty years of teaching and coaching the vault on three continents and with hundreds of athletes of all levels of ability and different ages. Not only is everything clearly detailed but there is a clear rationale for why things should be done that way - based on both my experience with youngsters and a deep knowledge of the process of skill acquisition.

You must give youngsters the chance to jump over a bar as soon as possible - as I indicate in btb this is initially for motivational purposes - that is what kids want to do!! And in Australia at least if they dont get a chance to do it they vote with their feet and move off to try the smorgasbord of other sports offering them a chance to PLAY!.

But as I point out on page 154 - and I quote "the focus gradually changes from using it to motivate youngsters, to the far more important aim of integrating new or improved elements of technique into the total movement pattern. DRILLS ARE ONLY A MEANS TO AN END - THEY ARE NOT AN END IN THEMSELVES."

The vault is a total movement from first step to landing on the pad - athletes must get and maintain the feeling of vaulting as a total movement - they then use drills to refine elements of the total movement.

Why invent the wheel folks - why not consider the distilled essence of all that experience before starting all over again to find it out for yourself? :confused:

And I dont really care if you dont buy BTB - if you are dumb enough to ignore it you deserve to be 'condemned to mediocrity" as Don Hood once succinctly observed. Sad thing is you will be condemning the kids you coach to mediocrity - at least you have put the years in gaining the experience and knowledge you need to really help them. :devil:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:47 pm

Or I could come and do a clinic for you Friday 20th and Saturday 21st of June this year. ;)
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

CowtownPV
PV Follower
Expertise: HS coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bob

Unread postby CowtownPV » Thu May 08, 2008 3:50 pm

Study and learn technique, but also study and learn "coaching". So many people can recite every theory ever written on the vault but can't get kids to jump high. Coaching is about relating to kids, motivating them to do their best, and teaching them how to reach their goals. Most of your great coaches could coach any event or sport they were passionate about because they are good coaches not just because they know something about their event no one else knows. Its not what you know but what you can teach. Its a great profession I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.
Winners find a way to win, losers find an excuse.

AeroVault
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.95m

Unread postby AeroVault » Thu May 08, 2008 5:23 pm

This year has been a learing experience for sure... Coached one program that was very much established, and more or less tried to improve on the basics the kids already had. A second program had no coach prior and very little time to prepare for the big meets at the end of the season.

With any school, whether a new program or not, there will be new vaulters. I totally agree the idea of putting a bar up and letting the kids jump is great because they should all be out there to have fun. I tried to make games or little competitions out of it so they would stay interested. Once they get hooked, you can work them a little harder and drill more often to reinforce their good habits (see following post). Positivity is key! Encouragement goes a long way and helped to get a better return from each of the athletes.

One thing I wish I did was have more structured practices. Next year I plan to have workouts ready the week ahead of time. I had problems with the "less motivated" athletes not finishing workouts or leaving early. With a large group I would split them up (drills/running and actual vaulting). I couldn't focus on everything at once, and would be watching the group on the runway, occasionally giving tips to the group doing their running workout. I'd look back and half the group doing drills would be gone.

If a vaulter does not want to put in the effort, I have no problem with them just coming out to have fun (as long as they still are safe). However, when they wonder why they aren't improving I want to be able to point to the workout and ask if they've completed it. It is easier with an established program because senior vaulters can take on some leadership and the newcomers will be able to instantly see the results of all the hard work they are putting in.

AeroVault
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.95m

Unread postby AeroVault » Thu May 08, 2008 5:24 pm

For completely new vaulters, I try to explain why I have them do each drill while demonstrating it. If they have even a basic understanding of physics, great! When it makes sense to them why I am teaching something (the Petrov model), then it is more likely to sink in.

Start with the basics. Teach them the grip and pole carry. Jog in place with keeping the pole high. Then have them run with the pole, focusing on not swinging their arms as they run.

Next work on the plant; 3 and 5 step walking drills, working up to a jog then sprint making sure their hands are always in the right position relative to their steps. If they struggle with it sprinting, slow back down and continue to practice the plant position while walking.

Becca is absolutely right about the grass and sand vaulting. At this step you can get out of the monotony and turn the drills into a game.

Finally, core strength (read: highbar). I honestly don't put too much focus on swing until the vaulter can do a few leg lifts in a row. If their core isn't strong enough to even bring their legs up to their hands, they won't be able to swing properly.

That's usually enough to get the athlete clearing some bars and getting addicted to the sport. From there I'm sure there are posts about further coaching, or send a message if you can't find them.

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”