Counting or Not Counting?

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Counting or Not Counting?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:58 pm

I've always been a step counter, but I found last year that my very young group of vaulters struggled mightily with this (and most of them never got it).

I know some coaches don't have their athletes count steps.

If you don't use step counting with beginners, how do you teach them the proper timing of the plant?

I am in the process of reading From Beginner to Bubka and Isinbayeva too!, and Alan has a ton of good suggestions for teaching beginners, but I am also curious what the experiences have been of other coaches on the board.

kmonty51
PV Fan

Unread postby kmonty51 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:37 pm

Being a long time long and triple jump coach, I thought counting steps for my pole vaulters would just give them too much to think about (as I found with horizontal jumpers). I was wrong. My beginners fared much better when we started counting lefts (had no left handed vaulters). It seems to cue them when to begin the plant. I probably won't go back to "no-counting".

Like any technique event, it does demand much repetition, especially early on.
"How old would ya be if ya didn't know how old ya was?" - Satchel Paige

dafox
PV Whiz

Unread postby dafox » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:53 am

I mandate a few things on this front:
1. count backwards. I cant emphasize this enough. your last 3 steps should ALWAYS be '3, 2, 1'. I really dont see the point in counting if you count forward.
2. teach ultra baby steps. literally "and 3." the pole moves in their hand and they take 1/2 a step. do that 20x. then "and 3 and" - the pole moved..more! have their hands where you want them at certain places.
3. COUNT OUT LOUD. another thing I stress. its a WHOLE different world when you hear yourself count. especially in the baby steps above. I've walked halfway across the track and told an athlete that I wanted to hear his counting from 30m away. he learned to yell coming down the runway. and his takeoff was NEVER late. ever. (and he never held his breath!)
obviously the last example is an overblown case, but the point is made - you have to actually hear yourself, not just think it.

LoZart
PV Newbie
Expertise: Elite Vaulter, Former College Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.97m
Favorite Vaulter: Scott Huffman

Counting

Unread postby LoZart » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:35 am

I agree. Counting is neccessary. And just as important is counting down, or backwards. If yo count up, then you are constantly planting and jumping on different numbers.

Also, I fiind it easier to count down "minus 1". For instance, ifd the approach is ten lefts, then count down form nine knowing that afetr the count down you can finish with the "and-jump"/"right-left". For some it makes it easier to intensify the jump.

superpipe
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, Club Coach, High School Coach, Parent
Favorite Vaulter: Who else, Bubka.

Unread postby superpipe » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:39 am

I agree a 100% with step counting. Definitely count backwards so you are always consistent at the end when extending or shortening your run. I actually teach counting down like this:

7, 6, 5, 4, 3, plant

I find, myself, it's tough teaching beginners to count, but it pays off huge when it becomes natural for them. I started saying "plant" myself on my penultimate step a few years ago. It took me a alot of pole runs to get comfortable with it, but it's great. My plant timing has never been better. There is really no sense in saying "1".

It takes alot of pole runs, but you'll eventually teach yourself to trigger that swift plant motion exactly when it's supposed to happen. I find it's also the best for learning pole drop timing. During pole runs, when you say "plant", you'll know instantly if the pole is parallel with the ground like it's supposed to be. If it is parallel, the plant initiation will be smooth and easy. If it's not parallel, it will feel extremely awkward and you will feel that you can't get the plant to happen fast enough ( That assumes your pole is above parallel ).

Saying "plant" at the penultimate step is one of the best ways to teach proper plant and pole drop timing in my opinion. Plus, it helps trigger a fast explosive take-off, including making your last 2 steps faster shorter strides.
Last edited by superpipe on Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gtc
PV Whiz

Unread postby gtc » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:08 pm

Count!

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:55 am

I believe that if you are going to have athletes count it is best to teach them to count every step and not just lefts. If an athlete counts lefts they can get into the habit of putting more pressure and effort into the steps they count. This means that they will lean slightly to the left and their stride off of that foot will be slightly longer than the strides that come off of the right foot. None of this is good.

I am not a fan of counting steps. I feel that it interferes with the athlete's ability to feel their way through the approach. Counting seems too mechanical and artificial. I can see it helping beginners, but advanced athletes should not need it.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:19 am

Sorry folks - and especially my good friend gtc - skilled behaviour is always NON conscious - thinking gets in the way! So while you can use a basic counting system to help beginners develop the structure of their run IE
1 left, 2 left, 3 left, 123 planttwothree for a 12 step run up - as quickly as possible the athlete should move to simply running and not counting. I can certainly see no value in counting down into take off - it takes the athletes attention to their feet when they should only be concentrating on a dynamic upspringing take off. You just need to do many repetitions of the run up- year round in my opinion.

It is for these same reasons that while a six step marker is useful for initial 'steering' by the athlete - as they improve it becomes a check mark for the coach instead of a cue mark for the athlete.

My five cents worth!
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Tim McMichael
PV Master

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:24 pm

altius wrote:Sorry folks - and especially my good friend gtc - skilled behaviour is always NON conscious - thinking gets in the way! So while you can use a basic counting system to help beginners develop the structure of their run IE
1 left, 2 left, 3 left, 123 planttwothree for a 12 step run up - as quickly as possible the athlete should move to simply running and not counting. I can certainly see no value in counting down into take off - it takes the athletes attention to their feet when they should only be concentrating on a dynamic upspringing take off. You just need to do many repetitions of the run up- year round in my opinion.

It is for these same reasons that while a six step marker is useful for initial 'steering' by the athlete - as they improve it becomes a check mark for the coach instead of a cue mark for the athlete.

My five cents worth!

Absolutely 100% agree. Teaching the feel of the correct takeoff and making that the focus will help to shape the run better than anything I know. Though many great coaches, Earl Bell for one, emphasize a mid mark, I never have, especially with elite athletes. Only because I do not want it to get in the way of the development of a run based on the athlete's awareness of what the takeoff ought to feel like. There is only one way that the last six steps MUST feel like to achieve an excellent takeoff. Once an athlete gets this, nothing else will do. Any other awareness coming in to the plant simply feels horrible, and an athlete will not even plant off of runs that she used to be just fine with. This is an essential breakthrough that leads to consistently good performances. I do not mean to argue with anyone who has success counting steps and focusing on check marks, but I think these methods should be used as a stepping stones, and not as an ends in themselves.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:08 am

Tim McMichael wrote:Earl Bell has always emphasized a mid mark, I never have, especially with elite athletes. Only because I do not want it to get in the way of the development of a run based on the athlete's awareness of what the takeoff ought to feel like.

Earl is big on mid marks, but for the coach to look at, not the athlete. I've seen some of his athletes use check marks early in the run, but none of his athletes catch their own mid.

Tim McMichael
PV Master

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:12 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
Tim McMichael wrote:Earl Bell has always emphasized a mid mark, I never have, especially with elite athletes. Only because I do not want it to get in the way of the development of a run based on the athlete's awareness of what the takeoff ought to feel like.

Earl is big on mid marks, but for the coach to look at, not the athlete. I've seen some of his athletes use check marks early in the run, but none of his athletes catch their own mid.

You are absolutely right, and I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. I guess I should have made it clear that I am concerned with athletes who focus on marks and not on marks used by coaches to guide the run.

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:02 pm

I don't like counting steps. Because I want a free pole drop and not have the athlete have to alter their run to adjust to the timiing of the pole drop which counting creates. this is not always right at their third left out. Especially with HS athletes who just don't run as fast the timing of the plant is inside of the 3rd left out. If a beginner is really having difficulty timming the plant I will move something big like a table or garbage can near the runway by where they should start the plant so it is easy for them to see so they can still concentrate on their run a approach.

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”