Counting or Not Counting?

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

Sebes
PV Whiz

Counting

Unread postby Sebes » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:50 am

Counting is a good idea, and if you're a seasoned vaulter I don't think it interferes with proper technique. Pole vaulters should count so they know which phase of the run they're in (drive, drive/speed, speed), when to innitiate their pole drop (so the pole feels weightless), and when to start their plant. I agree that over thinking is a bad idea, but if you practice long enough, it should become second nature. Especially with young high school vaulters who don't know what they're doing, counting brings awareness and understanding to the event.

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Re: Counting

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:19 pm

Sebes wrote:Counting is a good idea, and if you're a seasoned vaulter I don't think it interferes with proper technique. Pole vaulters should count so they know which phase of the run they're in (drive, drive/speed, speed), when to innitiate their pole drop (so the pole feels weightless), and when to start their plant. I agree that over thinking is a bad idea, but if you practice long enough, it should become second nature. Especially with young high school vaulters who don't know what they're doing, counting brings awareness and understanding to the event.

The left half of the brain processes language. The right half processes visual information, especially spatial relationships. When one side is dominant, the other side subsides. One of the best ways to throw somebody off of their game is to get them to talk about what they are doing. when an athlete is in the zone, there is no verbal component. This is why it is so difficult for athletes to describe what "the zone" is like. Language just won't go there. When you are using verbal cues to help in an athletic event you are messing with this relationship. There are exceptions, but in general, the more you talk the less you see and feel.

LHSVaulterJJR
PV Whiz
Expertise: current college vaulter, former USATF and high school coach
Favorite Vaulter: David spivey, scott roth

Unread postby LHSVaulterJJR » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:35 pm

encorporating counting into a begginers technique is important. ive taught a buch of my athletes to count on the first day they pick up the pole. it helps if you can start them out with three step plant drills to get the timing and fluidity correct. also some people find it easier to count out loud, this helps in the beggining when first trying to get this down but it shouldnt be continuely stressed afterwards because then it will start interfering with the vaulters train of thought when they have to focus on other aspects of the jump. theyll still count in there head but itll come naturally then. personally i CANT jump without counting lol good luck becca! :yes:

LHSVaulterJJR
PV Whiz
Expertise: current college vaulter, former USATF and high school coach
Favorite Vaulter: David spivey, scott roth

Unread postby LHSVaulterJJR » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:39 pm

also i agree with tim on verbal communication interfering with the vaulters focus and ability to get in "the zone" but again beggining vaulters are just trying to learn the basic mechanics of the vault in order to get there form down fluidly. once there advanced enough to where they can actually get in the zone for pole vault there counting will be completly subconcious they wont think about it but itll still be there helping them out

pistolpete
PV Newbie

Unread postby pistolpete » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:14 pm

This is my seventh season of coaching the pole vault. I've found that athletes who plant by feel rather than counting can lose that feel, especially after a layoff. Most of my athletes don't vault year-round. By counting, the vaulter has a better chance of being consistent on the plant, because raising the pole always comes at the same point.

OH-IOvaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, Former High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Mondo Duplantis: 8yrs/9ft!!

Unread postby OH-IOvaulter » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:05 pm

A greater majority of my vaulters do vault year round and they don't count. I agree with Tim and Altius that as a whole counting can interfere with the proper run and plant mechanics. I've used it with mixed success on beginning vaulters, but once they can consistently plant, they simply run and don't count. I myself have never counted my steps and even though I don't jump as much as my kids I can trust my run and my plant religiously.
What is nice about this sport is that I am responsible for most everything.
-Sergei Bubka

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”