Keeping it fresh

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

Branko720
PV Whiz
Expertise: Club Coach

Keeping it fresh

Unread postby Branko720 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:24 pm

Hey I was just wondering, espescially with the fall lacking competitions, what kinds of things can a coach do for an athlete that is training through the fall? I have mixed up the training and progress is showing but without the comps and pr's some athletes tend to get bored or even worse frustrated.

lonestar
PV Lover

Re: Keeping it fresh

Unread postby lonestar » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:28 pm

Branko720 wrote:Hey I was just wondering, espescially with the fall lacking competitions, what kinds of things can a coach do for an athlete that is training through the fall? I have mixed up the training and progress is showing but without the comps and pr's some athletes tend to get bored or even worse frustrated.

Have a fun practice meet with some other clubs in the area once a month. A Halloween vault where they dress up is fun. You can have a left-handed competition, straight-pole competition, handicapped comp, etc...

You don't need to be at any kind of a long run either. My kids will jump from 4 lefts at our Halloween Vault.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

Branko720
PV Whiz
Expertise: Club Coach

Unread postby Branko720 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:20 pm

Thank you and I will try some of the things you sugessted, but I have one vaulter in particular that just seems very frustrated, and I'm not sure if that would work. Do you think it could be benificial if I gave the athlete two weeks off?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:45 am

Branko720 wrote:Do you think it could be benificial if I gave the athlete two weeks off?

Good chance it could be, especially if they did not take much of a break between summer meets and fall training.

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”