Wrong Perspective

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:58 am

Regarding what Tim said, I think it backs up that poles do not throw you or add height to the top of the vault. It is all in the run/takeoff/swing.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:00 pm

Good afternoon

In an effort to move things forward I need to add some more “infoâ€Â
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

toby's jumps

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:05 pm

Does anyone have any video of Toby's jumps??

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:16 pm

hey

can we get the same information for bubka's jumps??

i have tried contacting peter but must not be getting through.. haven't heard from him in 3/4 years...

with those.. we could maybe clear up several issues..

dj

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:36 pm

You guys talking about the 2004 Trials tape?

It was shot with my camcorder. . .

I should also still have the disc image of the DVD somewhere.

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:34 am

good morning

i would like to have the data sheets on bubka.. like the ones we have seen on tim and others..

Tim's takeoff angle at 5.74m: 16.4 degrees
Toby's takeoff angle at 5.74: 19.6 degrees

Tim's horizontal velocity at takeoff: 7.74m/s
Toby's horizontal velocity at takeoff: 7.41m/s

Tim's vertical velocity at takeoff: 2.28m/s
Toby's vertical velocity at takeoff: 2.64m/s

Tim's resultant velocity at takeoff: 8.07m/s
Toby's resultant velocity at takeoff: 7.86m/s

Toby's runway velocity and vertical velocity at takeoff are higher than Tim's, yet Tim's horizontal velocity at takeoff is higher than Toby's, which also led to Tim's resultant velocity being higher than Toby's. So in laymen's terms, Toby was bringing it but losing more of it at takeoff than Tim was. They both jumped the same height though.

i think peter may have those.. or the japanese study?? where bubka was 6.50 meters..... or the 1997 (athens) study by the IAF?? does anyone have those..... or access??

i know they were done.. if we have bubka's numbers we can compare.. line by line and clear up some arguments..

allan did you ever have access to those studies?? help us out...

dj

dj

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:16 am

Sorry been there - argued that - not going there again! Just waiting to see the film of athletes, other than Slusarski and of course the best stiff polers -who 'jumped like Bubka' - preferably very much 'like Bubka' - at the very least with an unloaded pole before take off - before Bubka! :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:10 pm

Allan

As early as 1962 several vaulters were using and/or trying to use a “free takeoffâ€Â

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:27 pm

I repeat - I would like to see the film of Tully, Isaksonn and Roberts that is continually referred to. I probably saw film of all of them 30 - 40 years ago but I didnt know what I was 'seeing' at the time so I would appreciate it if someone could post something on PVP. After all we have seen film of Warmerdam from the 40s so I am sure the film I am looking for is available - perhaps Dave can be induced to put the clips up if he has it.

Would also appreciate it if you could clarify the 'allanised' version you are unhappy about. Note that I have only ever been a messenger - but perhaps I really am a dumb bunny and have misinterpreted what Bubka, Petrov and Botcharnikov have been telling me over the past 21 years. I must admit that much of the discussion with the latter pair has been in my house or Petrov's appartment when we were probably the worse for wear - red wine in large quantities does tend to distort your understanding of complex issues. :o
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:02 pm

I have to say that I was very leary of the "free" take-off until last year. I always thought that it would take an extremely powerful vaulter to make it work and you don't find many of those at the high school level.

Out of neccessity, I was forced to teach one of my young vaulters the free take-off to aleviate lower back pain and he picked it up the first day. He wasn't as consistant as I would like, but he was in the 9th grade.

He sold me on it and now I am teaching it to all of my kids. Surprisingly, all of them are catching on quickly and I can see a HUGE difference in their efficiency. Most are using last year's long run poles from 4 or 5 lefts with the same grips or higher.

As noted above in a post, it's all in the hands and getting the vaulters to grasp the concept of having absolutely NO pressure at take-off.

I'm anxious to see their results this season!

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:09 pm

AVC Coach wrote:As noted above in a post, it's all in the hands and getting the vaulters to grasp the concept of having absolutely NO pressure at take-off.

I think that's what is difficult with trying to get an existing vaulter to take off free...they feel vulnerable at that moment of takeoff when they are off the ground fully extended, on the verge of swinging, and the pole hasn't hit the back of the box yet. I think they subconsciously feel that pressure from the pole equals safety. With newbies they have no expectations with how vaulting should "feel" so it's much easier to teach them a free takeoff.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”