Petrov v. Dial models?

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

kmonty51
PV Fan

Petrov v. Dial models?

Unread postby kmonty51 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:38 pm

I see a great deal of debate regarding Petrov v. Dial models of vaulting in another thread. Can someone explain in simple terms to a novice coach the differences? If there are no simple ways to explain, can you direct me to books/literature that explain it? Which model is taught in Jan Johnson's SkyJumper clinics? Lastly, is this something a high school coach should even worry about?
"How old would ya be if ya didn't know how old ya was?" - Satchel Paige

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:14 pm

"Lastly, is this something a high school coach should even worry about?"

Yes! ;) :idea: :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Barto » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:25 pm

In short, the Petrov model is based around the idea of jumping up off the ground and beginning the swing as soon as possible without sacrificing the postural integrity of the vaulter. The Dial model is based upon driving straight ahead after takeoff and delaying the swing as long as possible to create more "whip" in the swing.

The proponents of both techniques will roast me alive for the above over-simplification, but that covers them both in a nutshell.

As a high school coach, I would advise you to work on getting your athletes to jump safely and consistently land in the middle of the pit. The good ones will firgure out how to be good and the others will have fun times and good memories.

my 2 cents,
Barto

kmonty51
PV Fan

Unread postby kmonty51 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:57 pm

Thanks for the advice and the explanation. I've taught and coached a long time, but I do believe pole vault has more to learn and reflect on than any other event or sport I've been involved with... the most fun, too!

BTW, what a great forum! Where else could a new, high school pole vault coach get advice from some of the most respected coaches and jumpers in the world?! Pretty cool....

:yes:
"How old would ya be if ya didn't know how old ya was?" - Satchel Paige

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”