Why don't high school best make it to International level?

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:55 am

vaultman18 wrote:But Roman coached Lo in 2000 when he won Silver. On the other hand B coached Lo to an American indoor record [I think]

He was well out of college at that point.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

vaultman18
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby vaultman18 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:02 am

In 2000 yes but not when he set the AR.

vaultman18
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultman18 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:09 am

Truth is B coached Lo up to just a coupleof months before the Olympics...at least that's what Lo told me...."

I didn't meet Lo until after the 2000 games. I wasn't sure what the situation was.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:50 am

vaultman18 wrote:In 2000 yes but not when he set the AR.

He set a 5.98 outdoor AR in '96. He was still at Tenn being coached by Bemiller. He set the iAR with 5.96 in '01. Dunno who coached him at that point.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:17 pm

Two Other points that should come up:

Lawrence is always being used as an example of a Russian/Petrov/Agapit influence: He is a good example:

Lo was a consistent 5.90 with a PR of 5.98(22 years old) when he left Tennessee. Switching to the purely Petrov model implemented by the true disciple agapit, away from the pollution of those who do not “understandâ€Â
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:35 pm

dj wrote:
Safety has been brought up… Lawrence was pretty unsafe at times… big stretching strides.. under takeoff… high in the air and coming up short…

Like when LoJo completed a full vault in front of the bar and landing on the front bun...at the 96 Olympics...the crowd thought he cleared it.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:46 pm

David, since you are on the spot you probably have a better handle on this than me BUT this is my version. I met up with Roman again in 96 in Atlanta and discussed the idea of him coming out to OZ to take over my group. The problem was that at that time there was no funding so he would have to do what he had done in 91/92 - live with us and I pay him pocket money. Clearly that was not a good solution -but I was prepared to try to do something better for him because in my view he would have done a great job.. However after I got back to OZ Roman called and said he had a position coaching LOjo and as I understand it he did so through the world indoors and next Olympics. I believe Steve Chappell got them together initially.

Meanwhile Roman had introduced me to Alex Parnov as we watched the competition . Alex told me at that time he wanted to get out of Russia. Alex contacted me again after I got back so I set about finding something for him. As a result he came out in October 96 bringing Markov and Chystiakov. All three lived with me until their families arrived in January 97. The rest is history as they say -although that story still has some time to run.

The thing that intrigues me is - that while in my view Roman would be a fantastic resource in the vault - I am being told that he did nothing in Knoxville and that no one made use of him. I find that incredible because anyone who wanted to study the petrov model - even if they wanted to reject it -would/should have made use of him.

I certainly wish he could have coached Christie Elwin when she arrived at Tennessee! 3.99m at 17 , determined intelligent and talented , she should have jumped 4.50 while on scholarship there but as you know only improved a measly three centimetres in four years. Your arrival in her final year was three years too late unfortunately.

Clearly Jim B is an excellent coach and this discussion - at least from my point of view - has never been about him. My interest lies simply in the question of Romans contribution to the vault in the town where he lives. If he made no contribution that is one thing - if no one asked him to make a contribution that is something of a completely different order. Because it would confirm my concerns about folk who claim to have studied the Petrov model but clearly have not talked to the one person in the USA who is probably the best qualified to discuss it. :rose:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

vaultman18
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultman18 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:48 pm

Alan I am not sure about Lo and Roman but if he told you he was coaching Lo in 97' I am sure he was. I actually had an chance to work with him but declined due to my ignorance. I regret it to this day. Regardless Knoxville is the place to be if you want to vault especially 4-5 years ago and before.

agapit
PV Follower

Re: lo

Unread postby agapit » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:50 pm

ladyvolspvcoach wrote:Truth is B coached Lo up to just a coupleof months before the Olympics...at least that's what Lo told me....

Are you sure? What the ****?
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:58 pm

achtungpv wrote:
vaultman18 wrote:In 2000 yes but not when he set the AR.

He set a 5.98 outdoor AR in '96. He was still at Tenn being coached by Bemiller. He set the iAR with 5.96 in '01. Dunno who coached him at that point.

Jim B - til June 96

Roman - Aug 96 Sep 97 Champ US Indoor, 2nd Worlds Indoor, Champ US Outdoor

Jim B - Sep 97 - Dec 1999

Roman Dec 1999 - Aug 2001 Champ US Indoor 2000,2001 Champ US Outdoor 2000 and 2001, Silver in Sydney, Champ World Indoor 2001. American Indoor Record.

Roman Jan 2004 - May 2004 (injured)

We won 6 consecutive US Championships, 2nd World Indoor 98, Silver in Sydney, Champ Indoor World 2001, American Indoor Record.

Go and don't sin.

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:33 pm

altius wrote:
I certainly wish he could have coached Christie Elwin when she arrived at Tennessee! 3.99m at 17 , determined intelligent and talented , she should have jumped 4.50 while on scholarship there but as you know only improved a measly three centimetres in four years. Your arrival in her final year was three years too late unfortunately.

Alan, perhaps ladyvolcoach taking it personal. I have never doubt his ability. I worked with Christie in Adelaid just for 3 months when she was a little girl. I think coach Job was doing a good job.

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

christie

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:45 pm

Nope! I'm not taking it personally, I appreciate the kind words though. Actually I completely agree with Alan. Christie could very easily jump 450 and I told her as much. I had hoped she would have stayed with me and gone pro, but alas the alure of the non-athletic and independant life took her away..

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”