How does coaching work at your school?

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

patybobady
PV Pro
Expertise: High School Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'9"
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

How does coaching work at your school?

Unread postby patybobady » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:43 am

I was wondering how coaching works for some of you guys. I am in my third year coaching high school boys (and if any girls want to show up), and basically have 5 vaulters on my own that in the past I have worked with every day - sprinting, lifting, jumping, technique, etc. By this I mean they do not do any sprinting events and train with me and just vault in meets. I was kind of told (when I started coaching here), "There's the sprinters, the distance, the throws, and you have anyone else....go" (everyone for themselves in regards to getting athletes for their events - not much sharing between areas too).

I am looking to get away from this though as it limits the guys I have and prevents them and others on the team from doing other events and hurts the team. I am hoping 'my guys' can report to the sprinting coach (whom I would assist on those days) during the majority of the time, and come work with me 2 times a week for pole vault drills, technique and jumping. What do you do at your school? (Do you have pole vaulters only, or do you have vaulters who you get one day a week or so)

At your schools, how does it work with vaulters, sprinting, practices, sharing athletes, and other coaches. I guess what I am trying to do is get a feel for if what I am experiencing is 'normal', or if you have a different format/style/system in place. Its tough to just take 5 guys all year and train for just the vault, when there are not a lot of people on the team...I'd like to have a well-rounded team and have athletes do other events, yet of course I want vaulters, who always are not a priority on a team wth so many events.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Last edited by patybobady on Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fight the good fight: It's nice to be great but it's far greater to be nice.

cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

Unread postby cdmilton » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:55 am

All of my athletes are encouraged to compete in another event. For example, last season, I coached the girls state champ in the vault and she was also the state 100H champ so she obviously worked with the sprint/hurdle coach regularly. For the boys I had more that only vaulted but the boy who placed second at state also ran on the 4x400. I have all of the vaulters do the work outs with the sprinters on the days we don't have vault practice(I am not there).
Chris Milton

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:16 pm

All of my pole vaulters WILL compete in other events at dual-type meets. It is not going to be optional. Invitationals will depend on what they get in.

skyshark177
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach

Unread postby skyshark177 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:06 pm

I have my vaulters do the 4x100m ( the 2nd or trail legs) or they will do the 110m High Hurdles. some of my vaulters will do the Long Jump as well. but, most of them do the 100m. If they are Varsity in those other events, they will do those additional events at the invitationals and/or Qualifying meets. But, for the exception of any vaulters that must wait the entire day, say they start at 14' or 15', I try to have them only do one additional event during the meet.

IndyCoach
PV Nerd
Expertise: High School Coach

Unread postby IndyCoach » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:54 pm

My vaulters will long jump early in the season, they usually put together a 4x4 for anyone who isn't already on the varsity 4x4. Most will run the 200m as well

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”