How to accelerate through the plant

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

mjaubbs40
PV Whiz

How to accelerate through the plant

Unread postby mjaubbs40 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:02 pm

I have a couple of vaulters that are slowing down as they plant the pole instead of accelerating through takeoff. They are still able to penetrate (standards at 80), but as I see it, this prevents them from getting on stiffer poles. This problem applies to full and short runs. We do pole runs about 1-2 times a week varying from 3-8 lefts. We also use DJ's chart and have done the pole run workout that lonestar posted. Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to get kids to accelerate through the plant? I've thought about bringing out the bungee/surgical tubing to do overspeed through the final steps of pole runs.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: How to accelerate through the plant

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:06 pm

mjaubbs40 wrote:I've thought about bringing out the bungee/surgical tubing to do overspeed through the final steps of pole runs.

That would probably enhance whatever bad habit is causing them to slow down.

Are they planting the pole late/too slow? If the plant is late, the steps will be longer and slow down in order to give the pole more time to get up.

mjaubbs40
PV Whiz

Re: How to accelerate through the plant

Unread postby mjaubbs40 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:35 pm

Yes, planting action for my girl is early, but slow, which causes her to slow down. Any ideas how to fix that, speed up her plant and accelerate through takeoff?

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

run

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:48 pm

If you email me or pm me I'll send you a drawing of some rundrills I've developed using DJ's chart. They are remarkable effective in doing what you are wanting to do. You should also incorporate Agapits 20-20 drill explained in BTB by Alan Launder. If you have them do pole run drills and count down from 7 lefts. Then have do 20-20 strides for the last three lefts it does some remarkable things to improve the run.

superpipe
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, Club Coach, High School Coach, Parent
Favorite Vaulter: Who else, Bubka.

Unread postby superpipe » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:08 pm

Pole drop and plant timing are critical to keep a rythmic approach run into takeoff. One thing I've changed in my approach run is to count down and say "plant" on the penultimate step. This sends a mental message to make a swift planting action and the last 2 steps, by instinct, become shorter and quicker right on time. Of course, your pole must be parallel to the ground at the penultimate step. It took me alot of pole runs, yelling "plant" on the penultimate step to trigger a plant motion vs. a take-off motion. Once over that hump, I found it worked very well for that critical timing on the last 2 steps and a properly timed pole drop. Again, the pole being parallel to the ground at the penultimate step is crutial. You'll know it's not parallel when you yell to yourself "plant" because the plat motion will feel and be way off.

Example 7 left approach run sequence for right handed vaulter:

7 6 5 4 3 "plant"

You still have to make sure you drive aggresively at take-off.

rizlab
PV Fan

Unread postby rizlab » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:26 pm

hmmm, I try to avoid counting down steps, but whichever helps. I mean, there's enough to worry about in the vault without counting your strides. ive done so many, lowers and sliding boxes, plant and drive off 2 strides, that i KNOW when to plant when iI'm racing down the run way. I suppose its just trial and error. Once you get it sorted you never go back i dont think, because with a tall plant with penetration you can be in a great position to pop up and the vault becomes much easier.
when i vault high enough, to hit jesus... ill be happy.

OUvaulterUSAF
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter and then some
Lifetime Best: 5.27m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby OUvaulterUSAF » Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:43 am

have them vault from 3 lefts with a low grip and incrementally raise the grips. Once they stall out on the pole move them back to 4 lefts, same thing, then 5 lefts, etc. from such a short approach, you have to accelerate thru the plant in order to penetrate. with time comes the muscle memory.
wo xi huan cheng gan tiao.

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”